Network Performance Software

Thread: Network Performance Software

Question Network Performance Software

I am looking to purchase a software suite that I can use to analyze network traffic and performance problems. I don't need some huge $1000 program, just something for small 10-50 user LANs. I want to be able to determine several things with TCP/IP traffic like packet loss on an individual run, application utilization, etc.

I figured many of you would use this sort of software for performance analysis and i'd like to hear your recommendations. It'd be great if the title has demo software available for download. Basically, what do you use?

*lin*
    [email protected]
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

Check out SwitchMonitor Pro by NetLatency. http://www.netlatency.com/switchmonitorR.html. You can buy a license for 25 nodes for $189.00. I have not used it but it looks good, has a free trial and is not that expensive. If you start using it, let me know how good it is. Thanks!

There is a free open code one one. http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/we...g/index-2.html. It does check utilization of links and creats a graph. It is not proactive.
    Last edited by dddwarp; October 7th, 2003 at 03:14 PM.

Posted right here on windrivers link

I tried it out and it does a pretty good job. Plus it runs on both *nix and windows
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

As far as packet loss goes you should be able to read it by telneting into your switch. I also use extreme networks epicenter software for monitoring the network. It is supposed to be compatible with CIsco as well, although I doubt it is the best solution as they wont read my wan radio's. For the rest I use trafshow (great for matching nodes/protocols over the lan/wan interface) etherape (a graphical network monitor ) ethereal (simalar to wildpackets etherpeek, but no realtime display) all free on any NIX based station. I also Use etherpeek on windows.
    Last edited by Rô©kHøµñÐ; October 8th, 2003 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rô©kHøµñÐ
    As far as packet loss goes you should be able to read it by telneting into your switch. And for the rest of it i Use trafshow, etherape ethereal etc all free on any NIX based station. I also Use etherpeek on windows.
    I looked at both of those programs, and don't think they are going to do what I'm looking for. The one seems to simple and the second required SNMP support from all the devices on the network.<p>

I need something portable, that can be used from network to network without having to have a managed switch. Something that can sit on a LAN and read and analyze traffic to and from it. Maybe something hardware would be a better solution.
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Linthade
    I looked at both of those programs, and don't think they are going to do what I'm looking for. The one seems to simple and the second required SNMP support from all the devices on the network.<p>

I need something portable, that can be used from network to network without having to have a managed switch. Something that can sit on a LAN and read and analyze traffic to and from it. Maybe something hardware would be a better solution.
    When I was a onsite network technician I used SnifferPro. Great program that will look at your network and give you tons of information. It also has a packet capture feature. Their current version is SnifferPortal. http://www.nai.com/us/products/sniff...ortable_hs.htm. It is expensive.