Weird message?

Thread: Weird message?

Weird message?

A friend of mine just called- said she keeps getting a message box that pops up and says: "NTS/30 remote procedure call NT Authority/System RPC terminated unexpectedly system will shut down in 30 min." The system does shut down in 30 minutes. She is running Win2000 Pro, she says she was running McAfee AV but had to get rid of it as it would not allow her to do much of anything without numerous error messages. She also said that she thinks that her system got infected with a worm. She has tried to go online to download Norton AV but her system will not stay online long enough to do anything. She also tried to download a MS Patch but cannot do that either.
    Has anyone ever seen this message? Just over the phone I told her she might be wise to start by purchasing Norton AV and see if she can kill any infection. But I have never seen this message before--just wondering?!?

Meanwhile, she can end the process using Task Manager.

End MSBlast.exe

Get her the MS patch as well :http://www.microsoft.com/security/se...s/ms03-039.asp
    Geez, wonder why it took her so long to get it?
    Everyone else was effected by this a couple weeks ago.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    TripleRLtd, way to go. I have been reading this forum for about a week and I have seen that you really do know your viruses. In my my environment, I do not deal with systems with viruses. I keep the "blaster" type out of our network or confined to a VLAN. But I do not know the specific systoms like you.

Of course, when I was system technician, the general rule is that when strange things are happening to a system, check for viruses first. I remember many times convincing a customer to buy anti-virus software and installing it and finding that the problem. Good going Triple!

Quote Originally Posted by dddwarp
    TripleRLtd, way to go. I have been reading this forum for about a week and I have seen that you really do know your viruses. In my my environment, I do not deal with systems with viruses. I keep the "blaster" type out of our network or confined to a VLAN. But I do not know the specific systoms like you.
    Good going Triple!
    Kudos to you for keeping it off your network. Many WERE effected.
    Thanks for the "way to go", but truthfully, any one of our daily members would have nailed this one, too. I just got there first.
    It was such a major problem a couple of weeks ago, all "grunt" techs would have recognized this one..
    BTW, that is THE difference with WinDrivers forum:
    People actually get almost immediate help/solutions, rather than waiting days like on most other forums, where most fixes are just guesses.
    The people here are REAL pro's.
    This is why after reading this forum for years, I finally joined.
    That, plus Ya_Know is my idol.
    PS
    Hey Ya_Know:

I get it.

Thanks--figured it was probably viral. I will get the removal tool for her and see if we can't get it taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Kudos to you for keeping it off your network. Many WERE effected.
    Thanks for the "way to go", but truthfully, any one of our daily members would have nailed this one, too. I just got there first.
    It was such a major problem a couple of weeks ago, all "grunt" techs would have recognized this one..
    BTW, that is THE difference with WinDrivers forum:
    People actually get almost immediate help/solutions, rather than waiting days like on most other forums, where most fixes are just guesses.
    The people here are REAL pro's.
    This is why after reading this forum for years, I finally joined.
    That, plus Ya_Know is my idol.
    PS
    Hey Ya_Know:

I get it.
    Soooo sorry to waste your time---yes as I said I did think itwas viral but since I had never seen the message that she described I just figured that I would get some input from my fellow pros here. I cleaned some of the blaster worms since they surfaced but had never seen that message pop up.
    Sorry to be "dumber than a grunt" :butt: However I guess I should be thankful that at least Ya_know did not resort to "Idaho" jokes

Just can't satisfy all of the people all of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Just can't satisfy all of the people all of the time...

You try though!!!
    Idaho jokes???
    I once knew a ho named Ida.