wireless network

Thread: wireless network

wireless network

installed a wireless network for a friend, one computer is hard wired into the smc wireless router the other machine is in the basement with a dlink dwl-112 usb card in it, the dlink software shows connection but i cannot get anywhere on the net, also if i run ipconfig from dos it gives an error, now this machine was up and on their net like 3 days ago before they got the new computer, any suggestions, oh yeah the computer that isnt working is running win2k sp3 and the dlink software shows connection anywhere from 30% to 85% generally around 70 though

What ip does the wireless connected computer report?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

when i run ipconfig from cmd prompt it says that the command is not recognized, im leaning towards software curruption and think i might have to do a repair off the windows 2k cd

that or you have a policy in place....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

doubt there is a policy in place only because the client know jack about computers and would not have done it, only by accident but hes not that brave to go messing around on anything other then email and internet

can you ping anywere on the network? try that. Also you should be able to see what clients are attached to the ap and what IP is given to that client. Try reinstalling the client and it's software as well.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert