Quote Originally Posted by ringo2143z
Well I changed the HAL as you called it after reading an article somewhere in here...I'll start taking them with a pinch of salt now!

Computer is: Athlon XP2600, Abit KD7-G M/b, 512MB PC333 RAM, Leadtek A250 graphics, SB Audigy, SupraExpress Modem SUP2670, 3xWD HDDs total 400Gb...Boot is 80Gb WD drive, Leadtek TV card.

Haven't a clue why ACPI stopped working. It was enabled as such in the BIOS. The computer wasn't turning off when I shut it down so read some articles and got to where I am. One thing I would say is that the board/CPU are new ones having fried the last ones. I swapped them out and didn't reinstall as I'm not a believer in reinstalls...too much hastle and I don't learn anything that way. Had been getting a lot of BSODs but I was gradually resolving them. The new hardware does work though as I'd been previously testing it with prime95 and sandra.

I think once the OS is working again I won't need to sort the ACPI issue as it will be working anyway. Any ideas for a non-re-install solution? I'm running CHKDSK at the moment. Says it has some errors to fix.
HAL= Hardware Extraction Layer - how windoze controls all your devices etc - There are two, either standard HAL (without ACPI on ) or ACPI HAL (with it on).

Mmmm if you changed both CPU & m/b you may very well have changed 'chipset' too, which may very well explain all your BSODs.

I'm lost as to where you are 'at' .... at the moment ACPI is on in bios & windows & you re-installed/repaired it & everything shows in device manager just funky ? Or is it all still broke ?

Do you need advice on how to reover your install ? In which case wade your way through TripleR's post ... EVERYTHING is there somewhere... , briefly either re-install windows from inside it by re-running the setup from the windows cd OR start from the windows cd & re-run setup from that each time choosing your current windows installation directory as target... (be aware, you 'lose' service pack info - a quick trip to windows update will sort that).

After all that then go check out
http://www.viaarena.com/ & get the latest 'Hyperions' which are chipset drivers & 'adjust' windoze to work with your hardware hopefully correctly.

We might still want other patches to finally resolve this but all those steps will most probably fix you up