Cannot access "Windows Update" etc
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot access "Windows Update" etc

Talking Cannot access "Windows Update" etc

Hello.. I'm not much of a techi but a supposed to be one gave me this address because he didn't know the answers. (AND I'm paying him!)
    Anyway, the virus "Dumaru" managed to get by an Anti Vir program & invaded my old Windows 98 Special Edition. (Maybe my daughter was trying to be helpful) Well, I took the computer in & the virus was removed by above technician. When I got home I noticed the progam "AdAware 6" was on my machine. It looked Ok so I left it there. Very soon after my daughter tried to use MsN messenger & couldn't get on. Same with Hotmail. I tried.. she was right..I went to "Windows Update" to re install messenger & was denied entry for several standard reasons including "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. The page may not display correctly. Error_ 0x800b0004."
    I then tried another way to: (1) re-download Msn Messenger 6 & got "the feature you are trying to reach is on network resource that is unavailable ... find "MsnMsgs.Msi" (2) tried to use net passport & got "page cannot be displayed". I shoved the Windows 98 disk in & attempted to re-progam & am told it couldn't down load some Jave files.. There are other things going on that are quirky like when writing an E mail letter the page won't roll up when you near the bottom so you can see what you're writing.. pages may not be displayed properly etc
    Question: Was all the virus removed? (I've run Anti virus programs & get the all clear) Would the Ad-Aware have cause problems? This reminds me a bit of the old Kleez.. All else seems to be working..
    Oh..what the heck is " runtime error 339. Component "MSCOMCTL.OCX or one of it's dependancies not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid."
    Any kind of help would be graciously appreciated from me & my daughter whose computer social life is suffering..
    Thanks ...Snoopy8

Welcome to Windrivers!

Sounds like you used to have kazaa on there?

this might be your answer

PS - if he is a retail tech, he should know about this stuff... how much are you paying him??
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi Snoopy and welcome to windrivers.
    Well at least that "tech" did something right: recommending us to you. (more on him later)
    Even though you say
    All else seems to be working
    , I have to say: most isn't working!!
    The tech who did this job messed up, and I doubt this ALL was caused by Adaware (version 6 NooNoo).
    You have compounded the problem by reinstalling Windows.
    This is why you are getting the unable to extract java errors: this happens when you have a previous up to date (patches, etc) and then reload the "old" OS.
    You probably also had IE 6, but with the reinstall you have a really mixed up version of IE 5.
    This is why you are getting all the browser errors.
    There are special ways to reinstall 98se that must be followed if you have updated all the windows components.
    Remember, 98SE came out in 1999!! You have had four years of updates added which are now ALL confus-ed!!
    You should have had the "tech" guy fix the problems he probably created, or overlooked to begin with.
    In other words, if all he did was remove the virus and spyware without checking that the PC was working fine now: HE DID NOT DO HIS JOB!!!
    Find out what he will do about it and then get back to us, since this one is a mess of a job.
    If he won't help you, or offers only to reformat (which you can do yourself BTW), let us know.
    Also, let us know what the specs are off your pc.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers!

Sounds like you used to have kazaa on there?

this might be your answer

PS - if he is a retail tech, he should know about this stuff... how much are you paying him??
    Right now he's free over the telephone... NooNoo. I took Kazaa & Kazaa lite off the computer around last April. My daughter now downloads across the street at her friends.
    I tried the Winsock 2 and It read 4 "Keeps". When finish was clicked it showed: 0 entries removed. 0 name space renumbered, 0 protocol providers removed & 0 protocol providers renumbered.
    Bottom lone: Still can't get into Update & messenger etc.
    Did I tell you that M/S's fix suggestion of deleteing "iuctl.dll" & "Iuengine.dll" didn't work? It wouldn't delete "iuctl.dll" because the specified file was being used by Windows. How do I get around that?
    Regarding the ActiveX security being set to high, Microsoft also suggested entering 3 sites into the "trusted Sites" which I did but to no avail. What if I just delete this Ad-Aware.. Willit make things go away or am I only complicating the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Hi Snoopy and welcome to windrivers.
    Well at least that "tech" did something right: recommending us to you. (more on him later)
    Even though you say , I have to say: most isn't working!!
    The tech who did this job messed up, and I doubt this ALL was caused by Adaware (version 6 NooNoo).
    You have compounded the problem by reinstalling Windows.
    This is why you are getting the unable to extract java errors: this happens when you have a previous up to date (patches, etc) and then reload the "old" OS.
    You probably also had IE 6, but with the reinstall you have a really mixed up version of IE 5.
    This is why you are getting all the browser errors.
    There are special ways to reinstall 98se that must be followed if you have updated all the windows components.
    Remember, 98SE came out in 1999!! You have had four years of updates added which are now ALL confus-ed!!
    You should have had the "tech" guy fix the problems he probably created, or overlooked to begin with.
    In other words, if all he did was remove the virus and spyware without checking that the PC was working fine now: HE DID NOT DO HIS JOB!!!
    Find out what he will do about it and then get back to us, since this one is a mess of a job.
    If he won't help you, or offers only to reformat (which you can do yourself BTW), let us know.
    Also, let us know what the specs are off your pc.

Am I doing this reply thing right?
    Anyway, TripleRltd I certainly appreciated your input. It looks like I should have left well enough alone & simply taken my computer back to the shop & pay him some more to figure the problem out... But I thought it would be a simple problem to over come. Boy was I wrong!!!
    In all fairness thought I suppose the Techi had the computer up & running & the last thing he would have even thought of or checked would be my internet access to Microsoft's Update & their other programs. If you can read my 1st reply then you'll see just how much I have been playing around in my amaturish way.
    I'm going to contact him again with the bad news...

Don't pay anything more yet. Tell him that you are still having problems, and that you believe he overlooked several issues that should be covered under the warrantee for his recent service. Let him do the work you already paid him for. If it turns out that more labor is needed (beyond what you originally paid for), you two should negotiate the final payment up front, to be sure that he does it right, and doesn’t rip you off. We can help you with the negotiating if you have time to post back...

It may be that your tech didn't know that MS shut off MSN messenger to force all users to download a new MSN messenger that has been patched for security reasons. The new MSN messenger requires that you sign up again as if you never had an account - which is another stumbling block not well known.
    MSN messenger Updates
    http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx

Iuctl.dll can't be deleted while ie sits at Windows Update site as it is in use, try it offline - it works much better then. Seems like your tech would have checked it for working access to Windows Update site before stamping it 'fixed'. That would include working Java, Script, etc. Just removing virus must have been all that was contracted and paid for? Still stinks.

california, where anyone can be governor!
    sounds to me like he may have "over cleaned" your system. ask him also if he changed any settings to protect you from yourself down the road.

i know some techs will clean the virus then lock down the computer as tight as possible to avoid another virus and don't tell the customer what they've done or why their functionality is now limited.....

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Don't pay anything more yet. Tell him that you are still having problems, and that you believe he overlooked several issues that should be covered under the warrantee for his recent service. Let him do the work you already paid him for. If it turns out that more labor is needed (beyond what you originally paid for), you two should negotiate the final payment up front, to be sure that he does it right, and doesn’t rip you off. We can help you with the negotiating if you have time to post back...
    Well you know the bigest problem is that The customer tryed to fix the problem himself. He should have called them in the first place. Know that there is a bigger problem that may not be covered under the warranty on that repair. I have seen this many times and the customer causes more problems than what they had in the first place witch is not the Tech's problem. But what he should have done was called them first before doing anything to the system.

In all fairness, the tech should have done the job correctly in the first place. If you feel you're good enough to get paid for repairs, then you're good enough to make sure the system works correctly before it leaves your work bench. Not one system leaves my desk before it's properly tested. It comes in with problems with Office, after I fix the problem I test Internet connetivity, Office, run a virus scan, and all other applications our company uses. No use having a system sent back to me because I didn't do my job properly.

Even though he put the W98 disk back in, and tried to reinstall over top of his existing, that shouldn't have screwed things up to the point its at now. If older files are being copied to the PC, then a prompt comes up asking to replace the newer file with an older one. If done correctly, all the newer security settings will have been overidden with older ones, returning the system to a state before all security patches have been installed. So there is a possibility that exists that he didn't cause any more problems than were already there.

I too suggest that he take the system back, plop it on the tech's desk and say: "I brought it home, it didn't work properly....make it work please." Nothing more needs be said. If the tech is really as good as he seems to think he is, he'll notice the changes that were made, and mention it. If he doesn't notice, then after it's fixed, I would find myself a new tech.
    Life is short - Eat dessert first! mmmm... cake

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    In all fairness, the tech should have done the job correctly in the first place. If you feel you're good enough to get paid for repairs, then you're good enough to make sure the system works correctly before it leaves your work bench. Not one system leaves my desk before it's properly tested. It comes in with problems with Office, after I fix the problem I test Internet connetivity, Office, run a virus scan, and all other applications our company uses. No use having a system sent back to me because I didn't do my job properly.

Even though he put the W98 disk back in, and tried to reinstall over top of his existing, that shouldn't have screwed things up to the point its at now. If older files are being copied to the PC, then a prompt comes up asking to replace the newer file with an older one. If done correctly, all the newer security settings will have been overidden with older ones, returning the system to a state before all security patches have been installed. So there is a possibility that exists that he didn't cause any more problems than were already there.

I too suggest that he take the system back, plop it on the tech's desk and say: "I brought it home, it didn't work properly....make it work please." Nothing more needs be said. If the tech is really as good as he seems to think he is, he'll notice the changes that were made, and mention it. If he doesn't notice, then after it's fixed, I would find myself a new tech.
    Well I will say this. After been a tech for many years and have seen many things I understand what you are saying but! I have also seen things work correctly in the office and the customer takes it home and installs 1 more program or changes 1 thing and it all comes down to the tech didnt do what he was supposed to do. Thats not the real case. IT WORKED at the office and then something got changed or installed or opened something on a floppy that infected the system again. I have been a head tech for a company that dose work on many types of systems and have seen some bad techs and good one's that just because of the things that you said in your first message " Its the tech that made the mistake " Is not always the case.

What should have happened was he should have called and said that the system still has the same problem and just taken it back to them. Not say it in a bad way to the tech. I can tell you that you can have a very good week and just because of 1 problem like this it can really ruin the hole week. AND BTW Yes it can mess things up just by reinstalling windows 98se over itself. I have seen many system have to be reformated just because of reinstalling windows 98se over itself. And if you talk to some of the tech's at Microsoft they will tell you the same thing that it can cause a problem. BUT NOT IN ALL CASES!!!

Thumbs up Cannot access "Windows Update..(CAN NOW!!)

Hello to all my help mates!!!
    Prior to reading all my replies I decided to visit the home site of MSN. Once there I went into their product section & eventually downloaded the new Internet Explorer 6. Tried using Update again...no luck. Back onto same site....found the cumulative service patch for I.E.6. Downloaded that & retried....Voila!! ALL programs came up working..
    I still have a sore neck from my daughter hugging me so much. The downside is that now I can't get near the computer. Such is life......
    Anyway thanks to all of you for your imput. One of you did have the solution I see. It's nice to know there are still people like you out there who are willing to help others at the drop of a thread.
    P.S. Reinstalling the Windows program didn't scramble up my current settings. All of my prior updates remained in place

Thanks everyone

The Snoopy8

Shame on me, but shame on you TOO!!

Well in all fairness for anyone who's still reading this thread... I was the technician on this one... the dumaru virus messed this guys system up so I cleared it off using my regular technique and the computer booted fine. I just ran the system and went to a few web pages... made sure the sound worked etc... everything seemed fine (unlike some people who replied I don't have the luxury of testing every program they have because if I did I'd have to charge the time and I've been burned a few times by money pinchers who complain about an hour charge...), plus the MSN messenger didn't save the password so I didn't see any activeX errors, and on a virus scan I don't do windows updates unless it's the blaster virus or the like. I don't like the burning from people, but I understand it (Kudos to garthg, for standing up for the idea of me) I am sorry to the guy for the confusion, the day he called was an extremely busy day and there was no way I could help him that day or the next. I offered windrivers as a quick, free alternative to bringing it back and waiting. Considering I would have asked the question to you guys, and would have fixed it for free anyways. Nobody knew the situation completely and everyone attacked me because I didn't check the MSN messenger. It was a simple viral removal for me. HOWEVER, my boss was looking at it first (he is NOT a technican), but he has this stupid habit of reinstalling windows overtop of itself. I've told him TIME AND TIME AGAIN NOT TO DO IT.... he might have attempted it for all I know... I'm supposed to be a part time employee, but I'm working almost full time hours and I'm not there all the time to keep an eye on my boss... I knew installing over top was bad, but never really knew what it does... now I do and I know what to do next time I get a situation like that... thanks to everyone who helped out the customer, you did what I expected you to do for him, minus the tech beating... :P (if you know sepecfically how to fix that error please let me know so I can save it to my knowledge base... because I don't have a system to test it with...)
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    Well in all fairness for anyone who's still reading this thread... I was the technician on this one... the dumaru virus messed this guys system up so I cleared it off using my regular technique and the computer booted fine. I just ran the system and went to a few web pages... made sure the sound worked etc... everything seemed fine (unlike some people who replied I don't have the luxury of testing every program they have because if I did I'd have to charge the time and I've been burned a few times by money pinchers who complain about an hour charge...), plus the MSN messenger didn't save the password so I didn't see any activeX errors, and on a virus scan I don't do windows updates unless it's the blaster virus or the like. I don't like the burning from people, but I understand it (Kudos to garthg, for standing up for the idea of me) I am sorry to the guy for the confusion, the day he called was an extremely busy day and there was no way I could help him that day or the next. I offered windrivers as a quick, free alternative to bringing it back and waiting. Considering I would have asked the question to you guys, and would have fixed it for free anyways. Nobody knew the situation completely and everyone attacked me because I didn't check the MSN messenger. It was a simple viral removal for me. HOWEVER, my boss was looking at it first (he is NOT a technican), but he has this stupid habit of reinstalling windows overtop of itself. I've told him TIME AND TIME AGAIN NOT TO DO IT.... he might have attempted it for all I know... I'm supposed to be a part time employee, but I'm working almost full time hours and I'm not there all the time to keep an eye on my boss... I knew installing over top was bad, but never really knew what it does... now I do and I know what to do next time I get a situation like that... thanks to everyone who helped out the customer, you did what I expected you to do for him, minus the tech beating... :P (if you know sepecfically how to fix that error please let me know so I can save it to my knowledge base... because I don't have a system to test it with...)
    Hey. The only other thing I would have done was to check on the internet for removal procedures for that virus. I do that on all systems that I work on with a virus. I have had a few come in that it was totaly new and no one had any ideal on what to do with it. It took way to long. And I agree WE dont have all the time to check out ever program on the system. I usually let the customer know that since it had a virus you may have some programs that will need to be reinstalled. I NO I dont think you did the wrong thing. Their are just too many people out their that think since we are the TECH'S that we should know everything. And if you have been in the business for a long time you learn that It always changes. Not every machine with the same virus or problem will be the same fix. It alwas depends on the system and the level of the person that owns the system.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    I have to say I am very impressed - owning the problem and setting the record straight, a rare thing.

Most of the flack you took was based on assumptions, so many wannabee cowboy techs pass through here.

Snoopy8 found a perfectly valid fix - download ie 6 separately and the update separately and install them. It had the effect of repairing the problem. What was the problem is the more interesting question...I would bet on registry corruption and dll versions/corruption, but I am not about to toast a machine to find out. It is a shame that most of us don't have time to do "lab work".

One question I do have for you, why are you so anti installing over the top precisely?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."