problem with keyboard

Thread: problem with keyboard

problem with keyboard

Can anyone help?.My keyboard won't print the (at) key.All I can get is the apostrophe ( ' ) I've tried another keyboard but no joy,consequently I can't use my email address.Any help would be appreciated.Autolicus. Microsoft Internet Keyboard.

As a workaround for the moment, press and hold the Alt key and type 064 on the numeric keypad and release the alt key. (ALT+064 on the keypad)

I suspect that your keyboard layout may have changed, As a quick test to see if this is true, some layouts (i.e. Danish) will use the right alt key (alt-gr) as the modifier to access the @ symbol on the 2 key as well as other keys

Check in the keyboard control panel in languages tab. Assuming you are in the UK, the only keyboard there should be English (British)> British

[edit] opps, the instructions for the keyboard layout were for XP, so I changed em for 95/98
    Last edited by Rellik; October 17th, 2003 at 01:48 PM.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Shift key might be stuck.

Turn your kb over and let it stand the night. By some Static Remover from Radio Shack or another computer parts store. Spray the static remover over the keys.

YOu also might try plugging in again the KB.

Good Luck,
    Orangeman
    Last edited by Orangeman; October 23rd, 2003 at 06:55 AM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman
    Shift key might be stuck.

Turn your kb over and let it stand the night. By some Static Remover from Radio Shack or another computer parts store. Spray the static remover over the keys.

YOu also might try plugging in again the KB.

Good Luck,
    Orangeman
    & you wonder why people 'pick' on you ???? you are indeed 'pickable' Orange

by the sounds of it, shift lock is on !, if the key is stuck, prise it out with a paperclip or whatever clean any 'gunk' trapped around it, that's some mighty good static

As Rellik says earlier check you are using the right keyboard layout & language settings for whatever country you may be in...

Another work around for now is to use 'Character Map' (that lurks in accessories somewhere whatever windows version), it can add lots of 'strange' characters to those available, lets you paste your selection with 'ctrl & v' ...

[QUOTE=confus-ed] & you wonder why people 'pick' on you ???? you are indeed 'pickable' Orange

by the sounds of it, shift lock is on !, if the key is stuck, prise it out with a paperclip or whatever clean any 'gunk' trapped around it,[i] QUOTE]

I like to wash them down with Windex (glass cleaner), give them a good soak with warm soapy water, rinse and then hang out to dry for a day or two. This has worked every time.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Yeah, Jitbob, I got the point, that the key was perhaps stuck ! ... I was amused by the notion of Static holding it down, which was the impression Orange's answer gave ...

Household glass cleaner is indeed an excellent de-gunker for computer keyboards, I'm none too sure about putting the whole thing in soapy water though ! - I pressume you mean any individual keys ...

[QUOTE=jitBob]
    Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    & you wonder why people 'pick' on you ???? you are indeed 'pickable' Orange

by the sounds of it, shift lock is on !, if the key is stuck, prise it out with a paperclip or whatever clean any 'gunk' trapped around it,[i] QUOTE]

I like to wash them down with Windex (glass cleaner), give them a good soak with warm soapy water, rinse and then hang out to dry for a day or two. This has worked every time.

I don't have time to hang dry, I use a blow dryer...