Windows 2000 Group Policy

Thread: Windows 2000 Group Policy

Windows 2000 Group Policy

I'm trying to use Group Policy on my domain to display an "acceptable use" message at login. I have a group policy defined and applied to an OU with some of my clients that I am testing on. I have edited the "message text for users attempting to log on" and "message title for users attempting to log on" policies. I have used the "secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce" command on the clients, but the message does not appear at logon.

I can't figure out why this policy is not taking effect.

Quote Originally Posted by tk421
    I'm trying to use Group Policy on my domain to display an "acceptable use" message at login. I have a group policy defined and applied to an OU with some of my clients that I am testing on. I have edited the "message text for users attempting to log on" and "message title for users attempting to log on" policies. I have used the "secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce" command on the clients, but the message does not appear at logon.

I can't figure out why this policy is not taking effect.
    Remember that if you have two (or more!) GPOs being applied to the test container you need to be sure that the one you just created has the highest priority, otherwise a higher-priority GPO may be knocking your settings out of the picture.

Alternatively you could also make sure that all the other GPOs have these settings as "Not Defined" so this GPO will take effect.

I've got two GPs, one that defines User Configuration (for folder redirection), and the other that defines Computer Configuration. At first I was defining my CompConfig in the first GP, not realizing that the CompConfig was disabled for that GP.

So after I defined the new GP, it kind of started to work. I've only got three clients to test on right now, and 2 of the 3 are working. don't know why the third isn't though.