New Lappie!

Thread: New Lappie!

New Lappie!

w00t! Just ordered a new lappie this evening. Dell has a fairly good deal going on and I got in on an Inspiron 1100.

Celeron 2.2ghz
    15" XGA
    512MB PC2100 (1 dimm)
    40GB Hard Drive
    CDRW/DVD
    Upgraded Battery
    56k/10/100
    XP Pro

This was $945 start to finish but I have to pay damn taxes in TN so final was $1032 free shipping.

I should have in about two weeks but I'm excited to finally get a new lappie. I've been working from this damn Compaq 266mhz so this will be a helluva change. Also be quite nice when I go back to school next fall.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

That's a nice price for a laptop.

I'm getting a new one from work but it's been dropped twice and the screen part is hosed and it's got a full 128mb of ram so I envy you.

that is a nice price on a laptop.. i have been playing around with the idea of getting a laptop, specially sinice i just got my wireless running at home, i told the wife that a laptop will be a nice addition to our network, specially with a wireless lan.
    but my main question is, and i dont want to put you down on the lappie you got... how good is a celeron laptop vs a pentium or athalon xp ??
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

Cool! Congrats! Nice price too!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeLiGrOsO
    that is a nice price on a laptop.. i have been playing around with the idea of getting a laptop, specially sinice i just got my wireless running at home, i told the wife that a laptop will be a nice addition to our network, specially with a wireless lan.
    but my main question is, and i dont want to put you down on the lappie you got... how good is a celeron laptop vs a pentium or athalon xp ??

I actually prefer the Celeron. At 2.2ghz it will be plenty for what I'm using it for. The Centrino's are a very good option if you want to drop $1500+ for your system but I didn't really want to for the time being. The main advantage is battery life and integrated wireless. I have plenty of wireless equipment so that's not a big deal and I went with the upgraded battery for this one and I'll be getting another from work for free for this laptop. (Nice to have Dell connections at work for accessories.) Celerons last longer (battery life) and run cooler than P4s and AMD so this was the perfect option for me. If this were a desktop replacement, I would have definately gone with a P4 or Centrino but, since I have my P4 3.2ghz at home, this will be a nice addition.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

That things going to come in pretty handy at school. ..and not just for playing quake in your liberal arts classes... you can listen to mp3s too
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Quote Originally Posted by ephmynus
    I actually prefer the Celeron. At 2.2ghz it will be plenty for what I'm using it for. The Centrino's are a very good option if you want to drop $1500+ for your system but I didn't really want to for the time being. The main advantage is battery life and integrated wireless. I have plenty of wireless equipment so that's not a big deal and I went with the upgraded battery for this one and I'll be getting another from work for free for this laptop. (Nice to have Dell connections at work for accessories.) Celerons last longer (battery life) and run cooler than P4s and AMD so this was the perfect option for me. If this were a desktop replacement, I would have definately gone with a P4 or Centrino but, since I have my P4 3.2ghz at home, this will be a nice addition.
    that makes sense.. you got a good point, if you have a bad *** pc at home you dont really need much on the lappie right now..
    well.. cool, and congrats... hopefully the wife will decide on the laptop and we will be able to get one...
    Assumption is the mother of all fucl< ups

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    The only dif between a celeron and a P4 is the cache. Celeron is 128k and P4 is 512k. Now this is ok if you are running office apps or doing audio conversion, but for graphics intensive apps like Photoshop, games and 3d rendering, they = teh suck. I have one in one of my desktops, 2.0ghz and it does what it needs to
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Congrats on the new lappie, especially it being Dell

I fairly recently bought myself a new laptop also, upgrading from my old Inspiron 8000, really lappie's are the way to go, I hate desktop systems now

I bought it about 3 months ago but:
    Dell Inspiron 8500
    P4 2.4GHz
    15.4" 1680x1050 WS
    1GB RAM (Ordered 512, got double-your-memory-free)
    60GB HDD
    Nvidia GeForce4 4200 GO <-- the most important part
    <insert bunch of other crap it came with here>

I bought it 3 months ago for $3400 AUD, which is a very good price.

EDIT: Welcome, BurnFEST. You last visited: 11-21-2002 at 10:23 PM <-- Woah...I didnt realize it was THAT long.
    Last edited by BurnFEST; October 22nd, 2003 at 04:27 PM.