Wierd Modem Disconnects

Thread: Wierd Modem Disconnects

Wierd Modem Disconnects

I have a system here that is having so very unusal problems.
    Here are some spec's

MSI Board, 2100+, xp home, 512mb ram.

The modem in question:Intel 536EP V.92 Modem

While browsing on the web the modem will just die out. It wont disconnect at first, the data transfer just freezes. It stops from being able to transfer and recieve info, from a web browser or any other means. then within the next 5 minutes it will disconnect and ask to reconnect.

This is triggered by unusal events. Usually when trying to view some sort of scripted page. Like a cgi script or a php page or forum. For example, you can load ebay up, but once you try viewing any auction(which uses a cgi script) the connection dies within transfer, and no other web activity is able to take place until after a reconnect. Pretty much any visiting of a page that uses cgi will kill the connection, but after a few reconnects you can view the page no problem.

The problem even occurs faster when the user is trying to open multiple pages.

What I would first assume it would be is the modem heating up, but this doesnt appear to be the case, espically since you can download full throtal for hours with no problems.

Nor is it the isp, two seperate isp's have been used.

Lastly a driver update has been attempted, but after the driver update the modem willnot transfer or recieve info in any medium. This just isnt tied to web browseing or browser. It just doesnt make sence. Nor is it tied to any specific pages or domains, but it appears that it occurs more often when viewing pages which use different web scripting languages.

Does anyone have any ideas? any help would be appreciated. Changing the irq assignment hasnt helped eaither.

I am also not sure how clear i discribed the problem, so please ask any questions you may have.

I think you described the problem quite well. That being said..... get a new modem!! Not worth tearing your hair out....

If the mode has any jumpers I would make sure the jumpers are set correctly. I would also reset all my IE browser settings to default. I would also make sure that the connection I was using supported V92. On mine, V92 is is shown using a star * next to the number.

I would also try updating the drivers by downloading them from a different modem.

That being said, I think Shamus is right, get a new modem.
    Last edited by Orangeman; October 16th, 2003 at 07:38 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Hey Orange:
    Jumpers????
    What are jumpers???
    This is a software modem!!!
    v92 should give a hint.
    If you went to Intel and checked, you would then be sure.
    Earthling:
    give us details on the pc itself:
    OS and updates applied as well as driver status, current status of virus protection and spy checks, as well.
    You say that you can download for hours, so the modem works, right?
    Let us know.
    What version of IE if that is your browser.
    Have you tried a different browser?

I think it's the phone lines. I've tried 3 different modems at my mom and dads house and they all do exacly what your describing.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

We've checked all the machines (I see silencio 'has it' too) for malware, viruses & trojans ? Check with a.n.other 'clean' machine ... if that checks out - phone lines themselves would appear the culprit, take that up with your telco provider...

Orange makes a very valid point - ISP must, here, be V92 compliant ! ... most of them aren't 'truely'

& edit

BTW - of course v92 modems even though 's/w' can have jumpers - what about when they need to use particular resources in bios (IRQ) to say wake the computer ? Anyway sometimes they do have jumpers, but yeah usually they are fully plug & play & don't - just not always
    Last edited by confus-ed; October 17th, 2003 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks for all the feedback,

here is the info that was requested:

After some more playing around this problem has become more interesting.

The computer has been scanned with norton 2003 and was clean. I also ran adaware.

I have tried dialing into two different isp's one that supports v.92, and another that doesnt claim to. Same problem both ways.

There are no jumpers on the modem, so this is a non issue.

The OS is XP home and has been updated up to the point of sp1.

I have tried another modem and the same problem occurs, so maybe it is just the phone lines. It doesnt make sence, but hell what do I know. The part that doesnt make sence, that if it was the phone lines, why would it only occur when it does(stated above).

I am fixing this problem for someone I goto church with, I guess I didnt follow advise, since I figured it would be a 5 min job.hehe

*edit/update
    I connected my labtop to this line, and about every 5 minutes I would lose connection, no matter what I was doing. It must be the phone lines, it just doesnt make sence why the connection dies on the XP system only happens with certain events.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Earthlingttc; October 17th, 2003 at 05:26 PM.

Start looking for interfering products like cordless phones, wireless from the neighbours etc. Where does the phone line run?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Start looking for interfering products like cordless phones, wireless from the neighbours etc. Where does the phone line run?
    Thanks for the responce, and sorry for not getting back sooner.

The problem has been taken care of, I ran a new line from the box to the phone jack, and things seem to be working fine. The line wasnt in real great condition, it may just be that this line has more shielding from interference, therefore the problem is solved.

Thanks.

HI

I have this same problem, not onlu on Intel HaM 56k Data Modem but most of winmodems, i try many but no success i have 3 phone lines with different connections but same problem occur! my this problem start when i upgrade my system to P4 2.6C (800Bus) + D875PBZLK, before that system was working fine!

So let me know if any one have solution about it.

Thanks

Welcome to Windrivers kalababa

Have you tried using an external hardware modem first?
    Did you uninstall the old drivers before changing modems?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by kalababa
    HI

I have this same problem, not onlu on Intel HaM 56k Data Modem but most of winmodems, i try many but no success i have 3 phone lines with different connections but same problem occur! my this problem start when i upgrade my system to P4 2.6C (800Bus) + D875PBZLK, before that system was working fine!

So let me know if any one have solution about it.

Thanks
    Welcome to Windrivers kalababa!!
    You may want to start a new thread with your problem since it seems to be different.
    Also, we would need more details like exact error messages, if any, What do you mean by most winmodems?
    Is this the same modem that worked prior to your upgrade?
    Etc.

few things i can think of

1 its probably a win modem, so putting an ini string in the modem's extra settings could solve your problem, most winmodems are helpd by

AT+MS=K56

if not check modemhelp.org and they have ini strings for virtually all modems

2 changed the modulation type ( if it is not grayed out ) from bell .... to the other option non standard bell

3 try running a windows update

4 flash the firmware on the modem if there is an update

5 kick it really really hard

and when all else fails switch to highspeed