Intel Pro

Thread: Intel Pro

Intel Pro

Need packet drivers to make a Ghost bootdisk. The card is a Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter, and I can't find it at the Intel site or anywhere else for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    Need packet drivers to make a Ghost bootdisk. The card is a Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter, and I can't find it at the Intel site or anywhere else for that matter

http://www.intel.com/support/network...2100/howto.htm
    Lot of info here. Click the Operating System link and that should give you the answer.

Kevin Aesoph (Slideright)
    MCSE, MCP, MCP+I, CNA, Microsoft OEM System Builder, Intel IPD
    Sites are down due to Windows Securitiy Issues be back up SOON!
    Slideright, webdevannex, dyotex
    The only dumb question is the one never asked!

Quote Originally Posted by slideright
    Kevin Aesoph (Slideright)
    MCSE, MCP, MCP+I, CNA, Microsoft OEM System Builder, Intel IPD
    Sites are down due to Windows Securitiy Issues be back up SOON!
    Slideright, webdevannex, dyotex
    The only dumb question is the one never asked!
    Well welcome to Windrivers Slideright ... but methinks your 'signature' isn't exactly representing you in the best light - "Sites are down" - seems all those qualies taught you to think the M$ way - & look what it got you !!!

Shamus What are you trying to do ? Why do we want 'packet drivers' (do you mean DOS drivers ?) All network drivers are effectively packet drivers ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Well welcome to Windrivers Slideright ... but methinks your 'signature' isn't exactly representing you in the best light - "Sites are down" - seems all those qualies taught you to think the M$ way - & look what it got you !!!

Shamus What are you trying to do ? Why do we want 'packet drivers' (do you mean DOS drivers ?) All network drivers are effectively packet drivers ...
    Yes, welcome Slideright.
    Perhaps he was talking of "other" sites -ed.
    From Norton:
    Packet Driver

This dialog box lets you select the packet driver that is run during the processing of the Autoexec.bat file. Setting
    Description
    Driver Executable
    Type the location of the packet driver executable file. If you are installing the packet driver from the original disks that came with your network interface card, the packet driver is probably inside a directory called PACKET or PKTDRV.
    Parameters
    Optionally, enter command-line parameters. These parameters vary from driver to driver and are usually optional with plug-and-play network cards. If you think that your selected driver may require command-line parameters to work correctly on your network, then consult the documentation that came with your network card. This is often in the form of a Readme.txt file in the same directory as the driver itself.
    A preview of the line that appears in the Autoexec.bat of the finished Ghost boot disk appears at the bottom of the dialog box.
    Multicasting Mode
    Multicasting is not supported by Norton Ghost 2003.

Trying to ghost over a network with a wireless...
    ...Ghost does not list his particular nic.
    But, they have templates that can be edited/modified.
    Have you tried that?
    Also from Norton:
    The Ghost Boot Wizard includes drivers for over 130 network interface cards. If your driver is not in the list, you can add it to the wizard so that it is set up the next time that you need it.

The Network Interface Card window is available when creating a Peer-to-Peer Network boot disk or a Drive Mapping boot disk.

Finally, from Norton:

1. <LI class=SmartList1 value=1>In the Network Interface Card window, click Add. <LI class=SmartList1 value=2>Select one of the following:
      • Packet Driver
      • NDIS2 Driver
    Many manufacturers ship both drivers with their network cards so you have a choice of which one to use.

1. Click OK to continue creating the boot disk

TripleRltd you are a "" (modesty prevents me typing what I'm thinking)

A Packet driver is this
    Packet drivers provide a simple, common programming interface that allows multiple applications to share a network interface at the data link layer. Packet drivers demultiplex incoming packets among the applications by using the network media's standard packet type or service access point field(s).

The packet driver provides calls to initiate access to a specific packet type, to end access to it, to send a packet, to get statistics on the network interface and to get information about the interface.
    - a flipping driver ! for Ghost he wants DOS ... that's why he's asking as on the download page for his card it only has stuff for inside windoze ...

... & that's why I asked 'why' - just make an image of the beast & be done, what he seems to want to do is boot from his machine via the ghost disk then get stuff from his network to complete the set-up, which of course he can't do if he can't find a driver to let him connect onto his network.

You made me mad now, I'm gonna go look for the cat & give it a kick ! that always cheers me up ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    what he seems to want to do is boot from his machine via the ghost disk then get stuff from his network to complete the set-up, which of course he can't do if he can't find a driver to let him connect onto his network.
    Actually, what I want to do is clone the five other laptops via peer to peer connection with Ghost. I can do it with a cable form lpt to lpt but it says it will take 10 to 12 hours!! So yes, what I need are the dos drivers for the card.

I got some untested shamus... pm me with your email addy
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Need packet drivers to make a Ghost bootdisk
    This dialog box lets you select the packet driver that is run during the processing of the Autoexec.bat file
    That is Dos, right?

Trying to ghost over a network with a wireless...
    ...Ghost does not list his particular nic.
    But, they have templates that can be edited/modified.
    Have you tried that?

Also, Norton suggested this for DOS drivers:
    If you are installing the packet driver from the original disks that came with your network interface card, the packet driver is probably inside a directory called PACKET or PKTDRV
    I was trying to help Shamus, not embarrass you Confus-ed, or make you mad.

Geez!!!!
    BTW
    Silencio says Cats taste great.
    Have you tried that yet?

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    Actually, what I want to do is clone the five other laptops via peer to peer connection with Ghost. I can do it with a cable form lpt to lpt but it says it will take 10 to 12 hours!! So yes, what I need are the dos drivers for the card.
    If Noo's 'untested driver' doesn't do it, just make 5 cd's or do it 5 times .... or no CDs in the lappies ? Perhaps just use any cardbus card laid about temporarily that you do have drivers for ? or none of them either?

Wireless lan is all new & developed for windoze .. so it doesn't really surprise me that there's no DOS driver 'officially' available, as time goes by you see less & less products with official support for DOS, this'll only increase.

TripleR all you seemed to do in your post was quote dis-connected bits of what Shamus must have known if he was looking for a dos driver - he just inadvertently called it packet driver - if he'd made the why clear when I asked things would have been simpler, but someone jumped in, didn't they ? You may care to note, at times less is most definately more (Cut & paste don't make a techie - knowing why always helps with how) ... I appreciated you might be 'trying' to be helpful ...

Oh & btw while I'm feeling all superior, you might note that every one of slideright's sites shows 'this page cannot be displayed' - so no all those qualies didn't do him much good, he was refering to 'his' sites ...
    (with advance apologies to slideright for any 'slight' - I know, Uncle Bill ought to do his job right)

The following link should make you want to consider using -ed's cardbus nic's laying around idea before you go trying unofficial drivers which may work with the wireless nic but may not with Ghost anyway: (better yet, get one, they are cheap and can go in your toolbox afterwards)

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...st&svy=&csm=no

My dear Confus-ed:
    Disconnected bits?
    No, bits pointing to possibilites of creating your own boot disk.
    Cut and paste don't make a techie?
    Challenges, innuendo, insults, slights, and high-mindedness and feelings of superiority, DO NOT make a good tech.
    Plus, since sometimes less is definitely more:

Challenges, innuendo, insults, slights, and high-mindedness and feelings of superiority, DO NOT make a good tech
    Only if you decide to read that into what I say.

Folks are just plain different, what I think I say & how you perceive that are probably very different things, the 'evidence' points that way (to me at least) ... maybe you don't get my 'wit' I'm told it takes some tuning into ... however some objectivity rather than subjectivity seems to be called for.

Look I come here to help folks (with the technical bits) & abuse them in the lounge - just because its funny & harmless, but when the two bits mix, you just get endless pages of bickering ... not good for anyone.

I'll be good if you are - don't take everything as a 'slight' & I shan't bite

In which spirit

You boys done yet?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    You boys done yet?
    Aye.

I am at least. No more of this or this from me ...

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    You boys done yet?
    Sorry NooNoo, but I am not done.
    Check the other "issues" in "Search Engines Timeout".
    Read what this "man" has to say.
    As far as the following:

Edited by NooNoo

If you have "credentials" to sort out between you, then take it to PM. You have had my advice - I suggest you review it.
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 11th, 2003 at 03:42 AM.