AGP Backwards compatable???

Thread: AGP Backwards compatable???

AGP Backwards compatable???

Hi Peeps,
    My Dad has an old PC (Slot A), It is equiped with a X2 AGP slot. He would like to upgrade his graphics card, there are plenty of cheap (£40-£50ish) cards avalable. Is ther any problem with fitting one of the newer, higher spec cards to his old machine??? In other words would a X8 card run in a X2 slot???
    Regards Steve...

(]TSS[)Pendragon

The most important thing is voltages with the AGP.
    The new card and the motherboard: what are they?
    See this:
    http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/...atibility.html

Besides there is little point in putting a 8x card in a 2x slot....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Yup, and the slot is farther back on the mobo so you can't even try to put it in. You might want to get a PCI card. Not going to degrade performance too much, or at least it will be better than it was before.

Best thing to do is to find out what sort of motherboard that you own and see what sort of AGP slot it has for sure.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; October 20th, 2003 at 10:36 PM.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    Yup, and the slot is farther back on the mobo so you can't even try to put it in. You might want to get a PCI card. Not going to degrade performance too much, or at least it will be better than it was before.

Best thing to do is to find out what sort of motherboard that you own and see what sort of AGP slot it has for sure.
    I think you are somewhat confused, an AGP 8X card will work fine in the slot as long as the slot is AGP 2.0, not talking 2x but 2.0. The difference is in the voltage supplied to the card.

AGP 8x offers little to no performance gains over the 4x ones and the 4x offers only slight to moderate gains over the 2x. The main thing is, you dont want a card thats too fast for the system or you are wasting money. Depending on the CPU you might do good to get a 5200 Ultra from nvidia.

Post more specs and well come up with a good recommendation
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    I think you are somewhat confused, an AGP 8X card will work fine in the slot as long as the slot is AGP 2.0, not talking 2x but 2.0. The difference is in the voltage supplied to the card.

AGP 8x offers little to no performance gains over the 4x ones and the 4x offers only slight to moderate gains over the 2x. The main thing is, you dont want a card thats too fast for the system or you are wasting money. Depending on the CPU you might do good to get a 5200 Ultra from nvidia.

Post more specs and well come up with a good recommendation
    That's what I meant.

Need to see if you have a 1.0 or a 2.0 slot. If he's got a 2x (which is almost guaranteed to use a 1.0 slot) he's not putting an 8x card in, or any of the newer 4x cards which have all adopted the 2.0 slot. That 5200 is not going to work if he has a 1.0 slot.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; October 21st, 2003 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    That's what I meant.

Need to see if you have a 1.0 or a 2.0 slot. If he's got a 2x (which is almost guaranteed to use a 1.0 slot) he's not putting an 8x card in, or any of the newer 4x cards which have all adopted the 2.0 slot. That 5200 is not going to work if he has a 1.0 slot.
    I've seen plenty of AGP 2.0 Slots that are 2X.

Pendragon, the easiest way to tell is to look into the slot, if it has one "key" or notch, then its 1.0, if it has 2 "keys" then it is 2.0. But some cheaper mobo makers sometimes do not key them right, but this is few and far between
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Mmmm but the 8x card is gonna have much better processing power than a 2x card, generally, that'd be one reason even if the bandwidth is restricted ever by the interface ...

Normal destop apps never require more than 1x agp bandwidth !, games pretty much might need up to 4x, but mostly (for lower resolutions certainly) less than 2x, only the very latest greatest stuff at high res so 1600x1200 and beyond need an 8x interface.

Usually the circumstances where I'd fit a high end card are where someone might later want to upgrade other stuff to match, so that'd be another reason, but if neither of those apply/are required then yeah ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Mmmm but the 8x card is gonna have much better processing power than a 2x card, generally, that'd be one reason even if the bandwidth is restricted ever by the interface ...

Normal destop apps never require more than 1x agp bandwidth !, games pretty much might need up to 4x, but mostly (for lower resolutions certainly) less than 2x, only the very latest greatest stuff at high res so 1600x1200 and beyond need an 8x interface.

Usually the circumstances where I'd fit a high end card are where someone might later want to upgrade other stuff to match, so that'd be another reason, but if neither of those apply/are required then yeah ...

Agreed 100%, you said it better than I did earlier. The 2x,4x,8x, is just a selling point for the most part. Benchmarks between a card like the GF 4 Ti series at 4x when compared to the 8x is usually less than 1fps difference, so the extra bandwidth is wasted

so, if the mfg Specifications with 8x,4x,2x, that's mean I can put in any mb with AGP slot right? what about the BIOS setting? or anything I need to change? or just let it be?....
    Last edited by acidburn88888888; December 1st, 2003 at 02:03 PM.

The 8x,4x,2x stuff doesnt matter its whether its AGP 1.0 or 2.0, they are keyed different and also have dif voltages (3.3 to 1.5 - I believe)