Keyboard quirk

Thread: Keyboard quirk

Keyboard quirk

I'm probably missing something simple here, but where I'm staying, the quote keys (ie '/" and `/~) do nothing until another key is pressed, when both characters appear. But when a space follows, as it usually does, only the quote appears and space has to be pressed twice.

It's a Logitech internet keyboard, but another keyboard does the same. Standard keyboard driver; as far as I can see nothing odd on the system. Win ME, only MSWorks95, nothing of Office, and the effect isn't limited to any particular app.

Anyone know where I should look?

(It may be something this computer has always done)
    Last edited by Platypus; October 21st, 2003 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    I'm probably missing something simple here, but where I'm staying, the quote keys (ie '/" and `/~) do nothing until another key is pressed, when both characters appear. But when a space follows, as it usually does, only the quote appears and space has to be pressed twice.

It's a Logitech internet keyboard, but another keyboard does the same. Standard keyboard driver; as far as I can see nothing odd on the system. Win ME, only MSWorks95, nothing of Office, and the effect isn't limited to any particular app.

Anyone know where I should look?

(It may be something this computer has always done)
    Could be a "sticky keys" issue. If not, the keyboard controller could be fried. Used to be you could replace that IC, but not on newer m/bs. Just a guess.

Have you tried modifying the keyboard settings in control panel? I'm not sure if your internet keyboard is capable, but try it as a USB keyboard?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

There's only the default keyboard driver, so not many settings there. It has occurred to me to wonder if the Logitech needs the right driver, but why only for those two keys?

Late at night, just got back from the movies, so probably wont do any more until tomorrow. Supposed to be on holidays, but looking at things on three computers so far ... sigh

I have a bunch of logitech keyboard... one set cordless and one internet type keybaord... don't need the driver to function but for some of the "special" nifty features yeah you'll need it, unless it's XP... ANYWHO

You never really mentioned if you tried a USB keyboard or not (unless of course it's already USB, try PS2)... I'm not familiar with the way keyboards actually communicate with the mainboard but USB might bypass the "problem" area?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I don't belive that's a driver issue that's a sign you chose the international keyboard layout. the international layout makes easier access to the other characters with accents and umlats and such like these: óáéíú öüäë àèìòù ñ âêîôû. it also turns the right alt key into altgr which adds even more characters like these 1-¡ ?-¿ 5-€ c-© r-® <-ç.

I prefer the way Linux does it, you press the ' key and then the next key and only one ' comes out instead of two ''

a way to test it, is to press the ' key and then any of the vowels which should return áéíóú

here's a MSKB article on turning on international layout for XP, which you probably use to reverse the settings.

the KB layout settings in 2k/Xp are in the regional and language options control panel, and for 9x it's in the keyboard control panel

you may end up choosing the US or United Kingdom layouts which don't do the international stuff.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik
    that's a sign you chose the international keyboard
    Spot on. It will have been like that since new. Regular 101 key layout sets it right.

Thanks Rellik & all who offered ideas.