XP Install Hangs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP Install Hangs

XP Install Hangs

I am trying to do a clean install of XP Home. It keeps hanging at 23 minutes to go. If I reboot from the CD and go to repair, it asks for an administrator password. As the program never finished installing, what would be the password?
    Would the repair mode fix the hangup problem? Why is it hanging up?

try disabling your floppy drives in the bois

Quote Originally Posted by skippoh
    ... go to repair, it asks for an administrator password. As the program never finished installing, what would be the password?...
    I am guessing - maybe blank password...

BTW usually when XP setup hangs it goes to Memory and Mainboard.

Good Luck,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I am trying to do a clean install of XP Home. It keeps hanging at 23 minutes to go. If I reboot from the CD and go to repair, it asks for an administrator password. As the program never finished installing, what would be the password?
    Would the repair mode fix the hangup problem? Why is it hanging up?
    The password ought to blank (as suggested) ... its hanging as it doesn't like some element of hardware, but we don't appear to have any details ... so what are we trying to install on ?

You can't really repair an install that never got done, I suspect it might try, once you've told it 'blank', but really you want to know why setup is falling over

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    The password ought to blank (as suggested) ... its hanging as it doesn't like some element of hardware, but we don't appear to have any details ... so what are we trying to install on ?

You can't really repair an install that never got done, I suspect it might try, once you've told it 'blank', but really you want to know why setup is falling over

ECS K7V7A MB
    AMD Athlon 1.1
    384M
    40G WD HD
    S3 Virge Video Card
    Samsung CD
    Sony CDRW

If you're unsure about your hardware, you could try the Windows XP readiness Test online: http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready/xptests.asp

I've never tried it, and it asks to install a utility on your PC, and it doesn't look all that informative, come to think of it...

Instead, I would have suggested that you try the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility (or the Windows Catalog, as it is now called).
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Mmmm all that lot looks like 'standard' stuff ... no problems there I wouldn't have thought ...

What's it doing at 23 minutes ? ... on the left there's a little list of what its up to, which bits has it done & what's to go, I was only guessing 23 minutes was enough for it to be doing hardware detect, it might still be copying, more detail is good

You can test your memory by going to Simmtester.com & getting 'docmemory'

I agree with Gabriel and highly suggest getting a proper memory tool to test the memory with like maybe what confus-ed suggested, but I'm not familiar with that one. I use MemTest 3.0 which seems to be a Unix based boot disk.

Anyways, that is usually the problem however I have noticed on one or two systems I have to disable the USB stuff until Windows is fully loaded and updated. Not entirely sure why, it may be because it's USB 2.0? But it's fine on other USB 2.0 boards... *sigh* Try that, it might help...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

ECS K7V7A MB...
    Surprisingly I had the same problem with my father's PC (same ECS board, Only he has a AMD Duron Processor). I have succesfully installed NT and 2000 and Win98SE (on different Hardrives - Yes my father is a bit weird), But as I tried to install XP - no Go.
    Other than that this computer works like a charm - once you have buffled with the on board periperhals...

Hope it sheds light on your problem,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Usually when they hang at that time like said above, its the mainboard. With it being ECS, that makes me really think its the problem
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    Usually when they hang at that time like said above, its the mainboard. With it being ECS, that makes me really think its the problem
    I have usually had good luck with ECS. But there s always a first time
    I have tried reformating the HD in NTSF format with the same results each time. Sometimes it will go to 23 minutes remaining and hang (installing start up).
    I am now fdisking and removing the NTSF - reformatting in FAT32. The HD keeps getting smaller it seems. Will that screw anything up? Them will try NTFS again.
    How do I get rid of the 8M partition that XP puts in there? Will it do any harm if I leave it.
    Thanks for the help guys, I am still trying.

I think it is a hardware problem. Either memory, cpu or mb. Use a testing software to run a 24hr burn-in test and see if you get any errors. Several years ago I used micro? software but it was expensive. When I need something now (not much, I work primarily in networking) I use TuffTEST pro. TuffTEST products are easy to use and the price range from free to the pro version under $30.00. http://www.tufftest.com/tt01-lite.htm

But I bet there are some good utilities out there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hardware tester?
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)

Quote Originally Posted by dddwarp
    I think it is a hardware problem. Either memory, cpu or mb. Use a testing software to run a 24hr burn-in test and see if you get any errors. Several years ago I used micro? software but it was expensive. When I need something now (not much, I work primarily in networking) I use TuffTEST pro. TuffTEST products are easy to use and the price range from free to the pro version under $30.00. http://www.tufftest.com/tt01-lite.htm

But I bet there are some good utilities out there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hardware tester?
    I have fdisked and formatted FAT32 - then started setup and changed to NTFS - This time it got to 19 minutes left and the end of "installing start menu items"
    I downloaded the tuftest utility and will check it out
    I have already checked memory a couple of times - all seems ok in that department
    would that 8M partition be causing this? How do I get rid of it to start completly new?

every try to just let it sit there? I had this happen and it took over 8 hours then finished..dunno had trouble doing somthing lol

I recently had this exact issue with one of my machines. I have no idea why it kept stopping at 23 minutes. I suppose it is trying to copy something into memory that is different from other items in the setup or it's installing something that creates a conflict. I really don't know but my issue came down to memory.

I put in some known good ram that had always worked with some other ram I was using, was rated at the same size (256mb), same speed (all 133mhz), similar manufacturer (micron and crucial chips). I removed the odd stick and for one reason or another and XP loads without issue now. The same stick is now working fine with XP in a different system. Go figure.