XP Install Hangs - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: XP Install Hangs

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    I recently had this exact issue with one of my machines. I have no idea why it kept stopping at 23 minutes. I suppose it is trying to copy something into memory that is different from other items in the setup or it's installing something that creates a conflict. I really don't know but my issue came down to memory.

I put in some known good ram that had always worked with some other ram I was using, was rated at the same size (256mb), same speed (all 133mhz), similar manufacturer (micron and crucial chips). I removed the odd stick and for one reason or another and XP loads without issue now. The same stick is now working fine with XP in a different system. Go figure.
    I have checked the memory - removed all but the Video, CD, HD.
    Ran the tufftest quick test - all OK
    Still working at it. I let it sit one time for 4 hours - went from 26 to 22 mins.
    Now I have noticed a small blemish on the outer edge of the CD. Built another computer and will try installing it in that. Should eliminate the CD anyways.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    I recently had this exact issue with one of my machines. I have no idea why it kept stopping at 23 minutes. I suppose it is trying to copy something into memory that is different from other items in the setup or it's installing something that creates a conflict. I really don't know but my issue came down to memory.

I put in some known good ram that had always worked with some other ram I was using, was rated at the same size (256mb), same speed (all 133mhz), similar manufacturer (micron and crucial chips). I removed the odd stick and for one reason or another and XP loads without issue now. The same stick is now working fine with XP in a different system. Go figure.
    OK
    Please somebody tell me what happened.
    Made another computer - 400AMD -20GHD - 256M - CD
    XP Installed no problem
    Took Hd and installed it in problem machine.
    It found all the differnt components - installed them and running like it should.
    What did I do right or what did I do wrong????

Quote Originally Posted by skippoh
    OK
    XP Installed no problem
    It found all the differnt components - installed them and running like it should.
    I'd still hazard a guess that there is something wrong with one of the pieces of the machine... memory, etc...maybe even the CD-ROM drive doesn't read properly... maybe the power supply is a little off... something enough to disrupt an install but not enough to "crash" windows. At least, not yet...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    I'd still hazard a guess that there is something wrong with one of the pieces of the machine... memory, etc...maybe even the CD-ROM drive doesn't read properly... maybe the power supply is a little off... something enough to disrupt an install but not enough to "crash" windows. At least, not yet...
    I agree with you. Will let it run for a while and see what comes up.
    I have neveer had this happen before. Rather it didnt happen again.
    Still would like to know Why or What .
    Thanks to all that helped

Quote Originally Posted by skippoh
    OK
    XP Installed no problem

Our company builds 1000 systems a year and this happens at least once a week.
    Nothing wrong with anything except brand A mainboard and brand A RAM aren't compatible with the XP install. Most of the time a different Make of Ram (or size)
    is the simple fix. Brand A ram will test fine and work perfect in any other PC and often will work fine in the original after XP is installed. Probably a logical explanation for it but as we always have lot's of Ram in stock whenever we have a problem XP install the ram is always the first thing changed.

Our three simple time tested rules for system building
    1 - DVD or CDRW on secondary master.
    2 - avoid using PCI slot 2
    3 - never use a Samsung component with moving parts.

Cheers!
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Arrow So why then ?

... could have been as simple as a poor connection/contact somewheres ! Very often just re-assembling cleans the contacts sufficiently for them to 'magically' work next time ... happens to the best of us

3 - never use a Samsung component with moving parts.

Hanging

does this board maybe have an oboard nic?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    does this board maybe have an oboard nic?
    No on board NIC

I think the problem was the memory. Its been up and running all day with no problems.
    Thanks again to all that helped.

I just created an updated XP disc with all the windows updates integrated and it too pauses at the "23 minutes" mark. Probably about 5 minutes or so, then it continues. Not sure what it's doing, but maybe a hardware search issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Skram0 View Post
    I just created an updated XP disc with all the windows updates integrated and it too pauses at the "23 minutes" mark. Probably about 5 minutes or so, then it continues. Not sure what it's doing, but maybe a hardware search issue.
    Since you are using a custom unsupported build your chances of getting help are slim. Use an official disk and apply the updates after install.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!