Win2003 and Netbeui

Thread: Win2003 and Netbeui

Win2003 and Netbeui

We just installed a windows 2003 server at a site and we are having some troubles with our imagine software.

We created a floppy that uses Netbeui to contect to a share on the server using Netbeui, we installed netbeui using the windows xp pro cd, and when we restart the server we get a service failed to start message and when we look at it is the netbeui is the service that failed to start.

So my question is has anybody installed Netbeui on thier servers and made it work if so what did you do.

Thanks

I don't believe 2k3 supports Netbeui at all.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

That is what I am seeing every were else too oh well guess this is a good time as any to switch to ghost or something like that.

NetBEUI is available on the W2k3 CD, but it’s kinda buried. \ValueAdd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI.

Hope this helps

Why were you using Netbeui at all, that's a broadcast network service, why not just use an ip ?

In any 'past tiny' network netbui is a no-no ! Well unless you want all your networked clogged up with broadcast messages, for whatever dumb reason you can think of ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Why were you using Netbeui at all, that's a broadcast network service, why not just use an ip ?

In any 'past tiny' network netbui is a no-no ! Well unless you want all your networked clogged up with broadcast messages, for whatever dumb reason you can think of ...
    My guess is it was meant to be a temporary solution to a problem. (Maybe related to speaking ot Win98 clients?)

Wouldn't go so far as to say "stupid".
    Would go far enough to say there are NDIS and packet drivers that might be a better solution. And they do use TCP/IP.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed

Well, in smaller networks NetBEUI is still useful considering IP is 50% header and 50% data while netbeui is I believe 80% data and 20% header. Use IP for net access and NetBEUI for file sharing. Its also a security measure when some user decides to hook their network to the internet without any type of firewall. Then again there is always IPX/SPX to switch to which I think is 90% data and 10% header or do I have it mixed up with NetBEUI, of well, you get the point.

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Win2003 and Netbeui

It was a temporary solution until we bought new software. we have some windows 98 clients that were not working with some of our older software which has now been replaced and the vendors suggested we try and use netbeui.
    Last edited by Ebra; November 4th, 2003 at 09:48 AM.