Crap-proofing A Computer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crap-proofing A Computer

Crap-proofing A Computer

Hey guys, I was thinking about pitching a 'package' to some residential clients.....well when i have some ...right now its slow cuz i'm just starting up and not doing any advertising.

My idea is a 'crap-proofing' project....

I wanted some input on what it should include......I'm thinking utilities that not only clean out cookies/temp internet etc....but also things like...

Spywareblaster
    Spybot
    Ad-aware
    Registry Cleaner

I am also not sure, but I think having a doc about the optimal IE security/cookie settings would be great too. I am not sure what they are actually....but I can get it.

It seems like as i'm writing this stuff..i'm also tempted to turn this into a 'see how much faster your comp goes now', type of project....

maybe with a "Tune'up" feel to it..but that would have to include like air-blowing the case, defrag with o&o space/complete-name, chkdsk, bios verification, etc etc...see as i'm writing this, more and more comes up
    RCVC (Russian Certified Vodka Drinker), Meathead+

Hmm...interesting concept......

It seems most of my tuning and tweaking of client PCs involves uninstalling stuff:

• Webshots
    • Hotbar
    • Kazaa and the like
    But as for utilities I highly recommend, here's a short list:
    • AV (Norton, McAfee or AVG if funding is unavailable)
    • Kerio Personal Firewall (free)
    • Google Toolbar (for pop-up killing - free)
    • SpywareBlaster and/or AdAware (free)
    And then there's the manual tweaks I do:
    • No wallpaper if video adapter is older/less efficient
    • Removal of Messenger service (not MSN, unless unused by client)
    • Removal of useless or superfluous links in startup folder and registry
      • MS Office and Find Fast
      • Quicktime
      • RealOne
      • Winamp
      • etc.
    • Removal of unecessary Windows components such as MSN Explorer, enhancements for users with handicaps, etc.
    • Unchecking of the "seek floppy drive on startup" (spelling uncertain) in the System Properties.
    • Enabling a faster refresh time for the Start menu and Explorer windows through registry tweaks (http://www.winguides.com/registry/ is full of those)
    If the machine is using the Win9x kernel, then I can also set the machine's role as being a "server" to optimise the cache a bit. Other OS may also have some hidden tweaks to make them a bit faster.

Your idea sounds like a good plan to save time and prevent future headaches.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster Creator
    Hmm...interesting concept......
    yes it is. . . . though I don't know if it's really conceivable. users WILL find a way to junk up their systems, that is inevitable.

here is how I handle things when I build a pc for someone.

the drive is partitioned into 3 sections OS/APPS (NTFS) DATA (FAT32) IMAGE. (FAT32) the image partition is hidden in windows using tweakui. I use tweakui to also move the favorites folder to the data partition. Email store in outlook express is moved there as well as is the address book, mydocuments, and I created a download folder there which I instruct my clients to download their stuff into.

I install XP then base applications they need / want. productivity stuff, a few of their games, AV software. etc. XP is updated with Sp1 and all critical hotfixes. I install spybot and immunize the system (keeps certain crap from being installed) and also install a free pop up blocker which is pretty good. If they indicate they are going to use p2p file sharing, I install kazzaa lite to keep them from installing kazzaa or something worse on their own, and set the my shared folder to the data partition.

Once the system is set it is ghosted to the image partition. I then make a bootable floppy which boots the pc and copies all the imaging files needed to a ram drive then launches a menu asking the user if he wants to backup or restore the pc. after a warning/explanation text, the system is automatically restored or imaged. ( I greatly discourage them from choosing the backup pc to image option but do have it there so they can take the pc home and install some of their own software like games for the kids then image the pc in a stable state.)

if the pc is restored, favorites, address book, email store, downloads and even P2P downloads are left completely unaffected. the only thing the user notices is that the wallpaper is probably different and they may have lost a few applications installed after the pc was imaged. all in all about the best solution I could come up with.

I got a call from one of my business clients who were having problems with word on 4 workstations. instead of troubleshooting for hours, I simply popped in the restore diskette and set them back to when they left my hands with word working great. then updated the av defs and reimaged. took me about 1.5 hours. I billed them $125 (which seemed pretty fair)
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

Well

Alright, well can we do like several levels......

Maybe level 1: Billed @1.5-2 hours

1. Chkdsk /f
    2. Internet Settings Clear Cookies/Temp Files
    3. Install Spybot, Ad-aware, Spywareblaster.
    4. Train on using steps 2/3 updating the software
    5. Blow out the case with air.
    6. Verify proper registry settings for DMA/66, Level 2 cache, Pagin Executive, etc etc...
    7. Google Toolbar
    9. Check for any ? hardware in device manager
    10. Check Event Viewer for any Disk/IDE Controller Problems
    11. Use Bootvis to boot XP faster
    12. Change Swap File size to 2.25 times the RAM size for MIN AND MAX
    13. Change appearance settings to performance
    14. Change resolution/refresh rate to best possible

Level 2. In addition bill @ 2-3 more hours

1. Install Norton AV , set to scan incoming/outgoing, do 1 full system scan and schedule it weekly...
    2. Install a o&o defrag, defrag with space, and complete-name
    3. Check for applications that are old/unused, uninstall them
    4. Install Kazaa Lite instead of Kazaa
    5. Update drivers for Video/Network/Sound/Monitor
    6. Install Intel Chipset Accelerator
    7. Check/Install latest service packs, SP4, SP1a, Directx 9.0, IE 6.0 SP1
    8. Test PSU (little cable plug )
    9. Test RAM (utility)
    10. Test Network Card (utility)
    11. Test Hard Drive Surface and SMART scan (WD diagnostics or something)
    12. Check Bios for Optimal Settings (ram timings, Bus speed/synch with ram, AGP aperture etc)
    13. Use Tweak UI to remove any applications loaded at startup
    14. Disable any unnecessary Services

Level 3 @ .25-3 hours more OPTIONAL
    1. Add/Replace RAM 15 minutes
    2. Add/Replace HD 2 hours (Drive Image + fdisk /mbr will do it in an hour)
    3. ADD/Replace PSU 30 minutes

Maybe also run 3dmark and like some other benchmarking utilities to show the improvement if they can't see it already (which they should)

Geez after all those improvements, it seems like it would be cheaper for them to just buy a new computer...LOL.......at 7 hours labor it would be like 280 bucks......for my rate anyway.....but you guys charge like 60 an hour, I charge 40 at most. But the thing is, this computer would run ALOT FASTER after stage 2.....
    RCVC (Russian Certified Vodka Drinker), Meathead+

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Just a suggestion, but dont put on a reg cleaner if you want to crap proof something
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Hi guys,
    i like the sound of the ghost idea, just wondering how to go about creating a menu for it. at present i have two bat files; backup and recover. a menu would be a more elegant solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain man
    Hi guys,
    i like the sound of the ghost idea, just wondering how to go about creating a menu for it. at present i have two bat files; backup and recover. a menu would be a more elegant solution.
    Welcome to Windrivers Mountain Man.
    Adept and Kato:
    Geez, I must give you guys credit for your detailed and sound advice.
    But, you're giving away all my secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain man
    Hi guys,

mountain man,

you should really enable private messaging. I can send you a link to an example disk (dos menu support)
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

The only one way to crap proof a PC is to remove the idiot between the seat and the keyboard. I have done everything above to my mothers, little girls, girlfriends and other PC's handed down to friends only to see them hose them within days.

There is no configuration for a PC that a user can't hose in seconds.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; October 22nd, 2003 at 03:16 PM.

Another thing you can also offer your business clients (small or large) is a sort of contract/agreement document they can make their employees sign regarding acceptable use of company systems. In it you can specify stuff like what changes employees are allowed to make to company systems, what software they can and cannot install, what they can receive or send by email and what is appropriate to surf to on the web. Alot of managers I deal with love this because when an employee breaks the rules (which someone will do eventually) they have this to fallback on. Tool programs are great for preventing alot of stuff and repairing other but fear of losing your job or getting a bad review is on of the best tools to use for prevention. When employees realise that they aren't allowed to install stuff like hotbar, gator, webshots or streaming media players the company saves alot of money in terms of repair, support and even bandwith. Always remember corporate managers and CFO's only understand $$ not tech.
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

The only way to "crap-proof" a computer is to remove the PSU.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    The only one way to crap proof a PC is to remove the idiot between the seat and the keyboard. I have done everything above to my mothers, little girls, girlfriends and other PC's handed down to friends only to see them hose them within days.

There is no configuration for a PC that a user can't hose in seconds.
    ROTFLMAO!!

I Suggest using a tight Security on Users.
    If they can't install - they probably can't damage the system too much.

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by kato2274
    .............Once the system is set it is ghosted to the image partition. I then make a bootable floppy which boots the pc and copies all the imaging files needed to a ram drive then launches a menu asking the user if he wants to backup or restore the pc. after a warning/explanation text, the system is automatically restored or imaged.
    Kato,

I am wondering if you could explain briefly how you do this, and what programs you use?