VIA P4X266 PR22-S Bios

Thread: VIA P4X266 PR22-S Bios

VIA P4X266 PR22-S Bios

I'm looking for the latest Via p4x266 pr22-s bios so I can eliminate yet another factor as to why I can't install Windows (98, 2000, XP Pro have all failed numerous attempts) on a system.

Via's site got me angry and Google actually laughed when I queried it.

Anyone have a download link?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I can't seem to find that model you gave.
    Are you sure it is right?
    http://www.viamainboards.com/product...therboardId=11

Are you sure it is actually BIOS should be updated?
    From what you're saying about failed various OS installs, I would suspect bad memory... or even bad CPU, improper CPU fan installation (CPU overheating), but not the BIOS problem...
    I can say even more - I've seen once customer's PC during installation saying something like "your current BIOS version is not ACPI compliant and should be updated before installing OS" blah, blah, blah... And it turned out were defective memory sticks (RDRAM - 2 out of 4)... after removing bad sticks Windows XP installed without any problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan
    Are you sure it is actually BIOS should be updated?
    From what you're saying about failed various OS installs, I would suspect bad memory... or even bad CPU, improper CPU fan installation (CPU overheating), but not the BIOS problem...
    You are right, Rus.
    I was too intent on finding that board to think of other things.
    But, yeah.
    Think about it Adept.
    Nothing will load????
    Something else, beside bios.
    Although, considering you were thinking bios=motherboard, you are on the right track=motherboard.

Thanks for the replies, kind sirs.

The board is the correct make, model and chipset (confirmed by box and board), but as 3xRLtd noticed, the VIA website is not quite forthcoming in giving out any real info about it. The only link I tracked for it (with the proper red colour scheme) was this: http://www.yjfy.com/V/VIA/mainboard/P4X266PR22-S.htm. The box it shipped it specifies it is built by VIA.

I wanted to flash the BIOS anyhow, as I know it's never been done, as the first step in my installation troubleshooting. The memory testing would gobble up time I truly don't want to spend unless I absolutely have to. This is a freebee I'm doing for my babysitter.

The 40Gb hard disk has tested fine (Powermax quick and full tests), the SCSI card has been removed, the vid card is a run-o-the-mill GF2 MX400 64Mb.

I will not let this problem get the last word.

If anyone has an idea how I could flash this board on Friday morning, I'd love to hear about it.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

PS:

From the fact that the WinXP setup reaches a certain point before freezing (actually states WinXP is starting up, then freezes), and from the referrences to SMARTDRV.EXE I got from the other installs, I've got a few other ideas to try too, such as:
    • Ensure SMARTDRV.EXE is loaded (d'oh)
    • Disable virus protection in BIOS
    • Re-try using 1 stick of RAM or the next (2x256), just to make sure
    • Reset the BIOS to defaults
    But darnit, how can that board not have any support from VIA? Is it like some sort of embarassing family member that they keep out of the way for fear of embarassment?

Last edited by a d e p t; October 22nd, 2003 at 09:43 PM.

Hey, ANYTHING for the babysitter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    PS:

From the fact that the WinXP setup reaches a certain point before freezing (actually states WinXP is starting up, then freezes), and frome the referrenced to SMARTDRV.EXE I got from the other installs, I've got a few other ideas to try too, such as:
    • Ensure SMARTDRV.EXE is loaded (d'oh)
    • Disable virus protection in BIOS
    • Re-try using 1 stick of RAM or the next (2x256)
    • Reset the BIOS to defaults
    But darnit, how can that board not have any support from VIA? Is it like some sort of embarassing family member that they keep out of the way for fear of embarassment?

Ahhhh, now you nailed it!!!
    I WILL NOT buy ANY board which you cannot get support for.
    WE have to support this stuff!!!
    If they don't how can we????
    Think PCCHIPS!!!
    Feel like doing the shuffle???

LOL!

Allright, I give up for tonight or else I'll really get angry.

Time to spend some time watching Smallville, CSI and Enterprise so that the world can make a bit more sense.

...I can't believe I just said that...

Sweet dreams.......

SMARTDRV problems can point to hardware too; as suggested, memory, if not already checked examine edge connector pads for tarnish/corrosion. Try with cacheing disabled?

Another thought - to be cautious with BIOS flashing if hardware is suspect. At least be certain memory passes the HIMEM.SYS check to reduce the risk of a bad flash.

Just to let you all know...

I managed to install this PC with a dual boot Win98 SE / WinXP.

After tweaking around (never did find updated BIOS), I disabled ACPI and everything installed just fine afterwards.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

SL-85DRV (VIA P4X266 PR22-S) perhaps this board is a -S manufactured by Soltek for VIA to protect the innocent from being sued in court by Intel (remember that whole Intel/VIA debacle a while back?) Now that Intel and Via are you might try SL-85DRV (VIA P4X266 PR22-S) comparison as they appear to be one and the same.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

That would explain the red PCB also.

Thanks Silverman, I think you nailed it exactly on the head.

The SL-85DRV board is identical to the VIA I was working on yesterday.