CMI8738 Driver installation blue screen - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CMI8738 Driver installation blue screen

Alright, the ACPI is ON in the BIOS. And, when I take the card out, all that is said in there is my midi device (MPU-401). What I meant by didnt work is, when I tried those methods, it still gave me a bluescreen. Sorry I havent replied in awhile, I was on vacation and wasnt able to respond.
    Last edited by Yellow; November 9th, 2003 at 04:11 AM.

Will SOMEONE respond?

Your problems might go away if you disable the onboard audio for your motherboard, that includes the MPU401 midi controller that is also onboard.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow
    Will SOMEONE respond?
    I got your pm ... & am now back (a little later than promised ) ... so where are we at ?

Reviewing this thread for Yellow specifically then :-

1. post 'us' up what motherboard this is ... ACPI on/off definately might come into play - generally 'on' is best, however if the motherboard isn't specifically designed to handle NT based 'arbitration', then off would be prefered, however sometimes experimentation is the only way .

1. First make sure all onboard components are definately off, so pull this extra cmi card, open bios & search around for any/all s/c bits, this includes as just suggested () any mpu device (that's a midi port also used 'mostly' as a game port) - when you think you've got 'em all run hardware detect to make sure - remove any remaining bits in safe mode, we want device manager to show absolutely no 'sound' bits whatsoever, repeat as appropriate until 'all gone' ...

2. Add any chipset patches as appropriate these'll depend on the motherboard.

3. At this point you ought to be ready to try again, so add back the card, let windows find it, then point it at the cmi drivers I gave you earlier.

If/when we get a bsod, please post up the exact message..

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I got your pm ... & am now back (a little later than promised ) ... so where are we at ?

Reviewing this thread for Yellow specifically then :-

1. post 'us' up what motherboard this is ... ACPI on/off definately might come into play - generally 'on' is best, however if the motherboard isn't specifically designed to handle NT based 'arbitration', then off would be prefered, however sometimes experimentation is the only way .

1. First make sure all onboard components are definately off, so pull this extra cmi card, open bios & search around for any/all s/c bits, this includes as just suggested () any mpu device (that's a midi port also used 'mostly' as a game port) - when you think you've got 'em all run hardware detect to make sure - remove any remaining bits in safe mode, we want device manager to show absolutely no 'sound' bits whatsoever, repeat as appropriate until 'all gone' ...

2. Add any chipset patches as appropriate these'll depend on the motherboard.

3. At this point you ought to be ready to try again, so add back the card, let windows find it, then point it at the cmi drivers I gave you earlier.

If/when we get a bsod, please post up the exact message..
    Ouch, this one brings back some "happy" memories.....
    One month later?
    Sorry Yellow.

Oh, gee Yellow. When you initially installed XP, did you have any file copy errors or glitches? I think you have got one or more bad memory modules. Can you swap them out? I think even the best memory test may not be reliable in this situation. But I have found many failures to load, install or run XP correctly are memory related.

Turning the ACPI off results in my system not starting. I have removed all traces of the sound card before this one. And the Windows XP problem cannot because I have reinstalled XP twice and the problem still persists.

If you turn off ACPI you have changed the hardware configuration of the machine, you must therefore do a repair or inplace install to use xp again.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    If you turn off ACPI you have changed the hardware configuration of the machine, you must therefore do a repair or inplace install to use xp again.
    ... if however you post up the motherboard spec I can tell you which might be best & we can find out the motherboard pci slot assignments which'll help as well ... more info helps us solve these puzzles

The motherboard specs can be found here:

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails...odel=m7vkq+pro

hope it helps

Yellow, you've tried about a gazillion drivers, messed with BIOS settings, etc. Try swapping the memory! I run into an increasing number of memory related issues with XP in particular (Windows in general...ain't no quality control no more). I have had the identical situation occur and resolved it by replacing RAM.

Have also run across situations where all drivers install correctly, but some software won't until memory is swapped out. Hope you didn't go out and buy some generic RAM off the 'net for your machine. You are better off buying Crucial, PNY, Kingston, Infineon, etc than the no-name stuff. Even if you have some fairly sophisticated software memory diagnostics, there is no real guarantee that the results of the test intended to replicate behavior under Windows are accurate.

Ok, I put the memory in the other slot, but, still the blue screen. I have reliable RAM. It's Kingston.

I would love to get my hands on this machine.....where are you in the world yellow?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Very very far from you, St. Louis, Missouri, US.

Just a tad far for an evening vist....