vpn browser problem

Thread: vpn browser problem

vpn browser problem

Hi guys

I'm connecting to a w2k server via vpn from a winxp pro box, i can connect without any problems but can't see the server or other members belonging to the remote network. i can map a drive to the server and download and upload without problem but can't connect to any other machines on the remote network. local area access has been setup in RRA. i haven't used vpn before, we usually go with PC Anywhere, but expected to be able to browse the remote network in network neighbourhood. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by mountain man
    Hi guys

I'm connecting to a w2k server via vpn from a winxp pro box, i can connect without any problems but can't see the server or other members belonging to the remote network. i can map a drive to the server and download and upload without problem but can't connect to any other machines on the remote network. local area access has been setup in RRA. i haven't used vpn before, we usually go with PC Anywhere, but expected to be able to browse the remote network in network neighbourhood. Any ideas?

The thing that is tripping you up, i believe is that NETBIOS does not transverse the VPN tunnel when used with just a server. Often times what works best is a dedicated firewall appliance that has a VPN server in it.

The way it sounds that you are trying to do it, the router has all of the ports needed opened. This allows all vpn traffic to stroll your inner network before hitting the 2k server.

The other angle would permit the VPN traffic through the router, and then it would hit the firewall/VPN and the VPN server would then make a "radius call" to your radius server (assuming that you are using radius, and not the built-in rras authentication). This way the vpn traffic would not be able to walk your net.
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1

hi

no radius server, just a router with built in firewall using port forwarding and no extra vpn client software. Would it help if i configure a wins server on server box? Or is another way to go?

wins server, yes, on the xp boxes, you will have to do the following,

Enable NetBios over TCP/IP in WIndows XP
    Step 1: Turn On NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.
    Click Network Connections.
    Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
    Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.
    Click the WINS tab.
    Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK two times.
    Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.
    Close the Network Connections window.

That should work...

some good reading on the theories:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q117633&
    Last edited by bbtech6650; October 23rd, 2003 at 03:07 PM.

the link expains a lot, thanks! i will try it on monday and let you know how i get on.