Zip drive and fresh install of XP.

Thread: Zip drive and fresh install of XP.

Zip drive and fresh install of XP.

I have built 2 pc's and both have Windows XP Pro and Zip drives (250). I installed Windows XP with the zip drives already hooked up. After finishing the install of Xp, I go to my computer and the hard drive is letter F: and the Zip drive is currently c. This is not effecting anything on the PC's but I just hate the Hard Drive being drive F instead of C. I was just wondering if any of you have come across this and was the your solution to fixing the problem. I know that I can format and take out the Zip drive but I would rather see if there was another solution.

Thanks for you time and hopefully you guys will have some answers to things I can try.

P.S. I have tried to into Disk Management and changing the Drive letter to the hard drive and this doesn't work.

I always load the OS then attach the zip......it will do that every time......
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Alternately..if you don't want to reformat and reinstall..download the iomega tools and use it's drive letter assignment tool..
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

welcome to windrivers stretch.
    Right click My Computer and choose Manage.
    Go to Disk Management and right click the zip and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths, then change it to something not in use.
    Then, do the same with the F drive making it C.
    You will need to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    welcome to windrivers stretch.
    Go to Disk Management and right click the zip and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths, then change it to something not in use.
    You will need to reboot.

Nooooo.........won't work........Won't allow changing the boot drive letter.
    :butt:
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

You will need to reboot.
    Once the XP/2000 boot partition is set on whatever letter, you cannot change the letter without reformatting the entire system and starting again.

Me? I assigned the zip drive to the B: drive, and so far it works fine that way, just follow TripleRLtd's advice on getting into the disk management console:
    As DocPC said, disconnecting the Zip drive before installing XP might do the trick.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Thanks guys for correcting me.
    Hey Doc:
    back at ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik
    Once the XP/2000 boot partition is set on whatever letter, you cannot change the letter without reformatting the entire system and starting again.
    You can pull the zip drive, boot from cd & do a repair install, which saves on the format

Hmm, biggest reason you cant change the boot drive letter is because of the x:\windows and the x:\program files folders, a lot of software references in the registry would get b0rked if the boot drive letter got changed.
    May the Schwartz be with you
    Too many zeros, not enough ones.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rellik
    Hmm, biggest reason you cant change the boot drive letter is because of the x:\windows and the x:\program files folders, a lot of software references in the registry would get b0rked if the boot drive letter got changed.
    Wonder if partiton magic would remedy this tho, after changing drive letters it searches the machine for references to the old drive letter and then updates them with the new drive letter, maybe worth a shot....
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Fdisk

If you use FDISK to create partition before installing Windows the HardDrive letter will be C. Otherwise it becomes F. You should, however, be able to change it in Computer Management under administrative tools.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC
    If you use FDISK to create partition before installing Windows the HardDrive letter will be C. Otherwise it becomes F. You should, however, be able to change it in Computer Management under administrative tools.
    If you would have read earlier posts you would have seen that this is not possible for the boot drive
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-