Knoppix 3.1 GUI Interface

Thread: Knoppix 3.1 GUI Interface

Question Knoppix 3.1 GUI Interface

Hello all,
    I have downloaded a lite version of Knoppix3.1 and loaded the image to CD. It appears to load OK on the PC, at the end of the boot process it has a prompt that reads: root@tty1[/]# I'm not that linux savvy and was wondering if anybody knew how to get it to go into the GUI. I presume theres a command you need to type but I'm not sure about it.

at the prompt try typing 'startx' without the quotes

if that doesn't work you may have to use cheat codes

Perhaps something like this...

The graphical environment doesn't start on my system. I get messages such as:

retrying with Server Xfree86(vesa)
    retrying with Server Xfree86(fbdev)
    Error : no suitable X-Server found for your card.
    Or the screen just goes blank

On some machines, or with some graphics boards, Knoppix cannot determine which graphics X server to use with your hardware. It is then necessary to specify it manually as a boot option, using "xmodule=". For example, some NVidia boards are not correctly detected. To use them, you must specify at the boot prompt:

knoppix xmodule=nv
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Thanks for your reply craigmodius,
    I couldn't get any of the commands to work, I'm beginning to think that the image I downloaded may be ''too slim'' and doesnt have a GUI (all I get is bad command messages - the image I downloaded was GKnx). Ultimately what I'm after is Knoppix 3.2, that has all the hardware detection, mounts the drives in a GUI format, but doesn't need to have all the extra apps like office and games etc. So the very basic version of 3.2.

Hmm, out of the 3 or 4 systems I've thrown my knoppix cd's at, I've had no display problems.

I've used ones from linuxiso.org, but I haven't bothered with minimalist ones that don't have stuff.

I've used regular knoppix and knoppix std from here where std replaces office tools with security tools.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    Hmm, out of the 3 or 4 systems I've thrown my knoppix cd's at, I've had no display problems.

I've used ones from linuxiso.org, but I haven't bothered with minimalist ones that don't have stuff.

I've used regular knoppix and knoppix std from here where std replaces office tools with security tools.
    I havent tried knoppix but I found a live CD I have used to play pranks on my Linux hating co-workers. It has KDE GNOME and fluxbox on it and will work with absolutely zero configuration on a dhcp network either that or you can run the "net-setup eth0" command to set up static ip address.

http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experi...07-15-2003.iso

Try http://www.knoppix-std.org/. It has a security version image that is bootable on CD. GUI and it works great plus several security apps included.

Quote Originally Posted by dddwarp
    Try http://www.knoppix-std.org/. It has a security version image that is bootable on CD. GUI and it works great plus several security apps included.
    I Tried the knoppix CD recently on a computer that had a Hard Drive going bad. I set up an anomyous FTP folder on our local LAN and uploaded the files to it. I was able to retrieve 99% of the data from the drive. In windows It kept getting I/O errors. In Knoppix it just said it cant read the file and asked to skip it and moved to the next file.

I liked knoppix as well. For those that like windows flavored....I like Bart's PE builder. This makes a live "windows" type cd with whatever apps you want. I used it to map a drive to a share and backup data on a drive that isn't bootable.
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman72
    I liked knoppix as well. For those that like windows flavored....I like Bart's PE builder. This makes a live "windows" type cd with whatever apps you want. I used it to map a drive to a share and backup data on a drive that isn't bootable.
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    COOL!
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)

Try Morphix it is based on Knoppix with a modular structure. With some work you can make your own CD with what you want on it.

http://morphix.sourceforge.net/

Thanks to all that replied to my original post, there is certainly lots of different options out there, I had a go at Barts PE Builder, its remarkably easy to use and setup, you don't have to download a large image (especially if you're on dialup), and works well - especially as a recovery tool. My hat goes out to Bart for providing this information !! When I get broadband will give the others a go. Thanks.