What's this? ~.tmp on desktop

Thread: What's this? ~.tmp on desktop

What's this? ~.tmp on desktop

Hi All. Have a client keeps bugging me about this.
    A file shows up on his desktop -> ~.tmp
    He deletes it but next time he boots up it's back.
    It first showed up on one computer a year ago. He just got a new computer from me last week and now it's showing up on that one too.

Both PC's are running WINXP home. I think the original one has MS Works and I know the latest one has Work Suite 2003. I'm pretty sure it's just a temp file created by Works or Word but how can he stop it. We've seen this file on other PC's but never gave it much pause for concern.

Anyways it's bugging him to the point he wants me to phone Mr Gates to have him personally come on over and get rid of it forever.

Help!
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

I think you're referring to the same issue reported here: WTF is a file called '~.'

The solution for that was that it was the side-effect of Windows Update Patch 330994.

There is yet no known fix except to uninstall the patch, but deleting it appears to have no effect on a system's operability.

Check out the original thread for more info.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Mystery solved. Thanks!
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.