Identifying email virus

Thread: Identifying email virus

Identifying email virus

Hi guys, I've been getting a stack of emails with attachments (.pif,.exe,.scr) from my ex-girlfriends ISP email address lately and for my personal knowledge, i wouldn't mind knowing what it is.... and i might decide to tell her she has a virus later on

Anyway, heres some details... I've deleted most of the emails, so i can only tell you about the three i got today.

One had an attachment - safe_easy_faster_big.com (74.9kb) and the subject was the same as the file name (without the .com). No text in the body. Also, looking at the receipients list, it looks like its crawled the computer for emails, just like SOBIG would, but i dunno enough about sobig to make a ruling.

Second email had an attachment - img072.com (98.3kb) filename as subject again, no body.

Third email had an attachment, skipup.pif(60.2kb) filename as subject once more and once more with no body....

If any of this sounds familiar to anyone, I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks guys

P.S I spose thats what you get for having cable internet connected straight up to a computer's USB port without any type of firewall, hey....

Have you not got a virus checker GMan? www.grisoft.com do a free one that checks emails.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Have you not got a virus checker GMan? www.grisoft.com do a free one that checks emails.

Good point, Noo.... I tried saving the attachment to my desktop and then scanning (with McAfee, latest definitions) and it didnt detect it as anything... I've also got "HAWK for Outlook" enabled, so it should've picked it up in outlook as well.... im stumped, maybe its too new for McAfee?

EDIT:
    Ps. Just got another one... this time with file safe_easy_better_ghost.scr, and with a body this time! a smiley no less! "" I kid you not...
    Last edited by G Man; November 1st, 2003 at 09:43 AM.

mcafee should be automatically cleaning them - but some are trojans or malware - not stuff macafee deals with.

I would contact who ever is sending them if its definitely not spam mail.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."