liteon 40x cdr can burn but cannot read

Thread: liteon 40x cdr can burn but cannot read

liteon 40x cdr can burn but cannot read

hello im having this issue that is racking my brain i purchased a a05 pioneer writer and i had a liteon 40x cdr writer that was alrdy in the computer so i added the pioneer and made her the slave on my primiary ide .. and hooked up my liteon cdr on a ata 133 card as primary on ide 2 since i can't use it on ide 1 cause i have 2 hard drives connected to that 1 alrdy..well i boot my computer up and both drives show up fine the problem is when i try to read media from the liteon it will not read it u can hear it spinning but won't read the media if i put it in my pioneer drive the media reads fine so i thought hmm.. so i loaded up nero and put a blank cdr in my liteon and believe it or not was able to burn a cd just fine...took it out after the successfull burn and placed it back into my liteon player....still can't read media..so i put it in my pioneer drive and bam reads it just fine so now i got a cdr that seems to only want to burn cd's and not read em ..but i can burn cd's with it ..so my question is this what could be keeping my liteon which worked fine untill i added the dvd writer not read the media but allow me to burn media..thanks for any answers i get in return the way i have it set up is like this

primary ide- c drive-a05 writer
    secondary ide- 2 hd's
    ata 133 card- ide1- 2 hard drives----------ide2- liteon cdr as master

im using a msi kt3 ultra 512ddr xp 1800

btw i do have the latest firmware for both the liteon and the pioneer a05 and keep my computer up to date when it comes to drivers
    Last edited by tooneyville; November 1st, 2003 at 06:12 PM.

what could be keeping my liteon which worked fine untill i added the dvd writer not read the media but allow me to burn media..
    Welcome to WinDrivers tooneyville (where is that BTW).
    Sounds strange indeed.
    Perhaps this is just coincidence, the fact that it worked before.
    Try temporarily disconnecting one of the cd's connected directly to IDE and connecting the liteon instead and then try it.
    Do you still have the same problem?

yes the cdr works fine if only 1 of the 2 is connected .. and there not both connected on the same ide cable so that should cancel out a ide conflict weird eh? i also switched out the ide cable that runs from the ata 133 ide2 slot and tried again still same issue. and i just installed the a05 last night and ive never had any issues out of the liteon so some where i have to be having some sort of conflict...now i haven't tried to hook the writer up to the ide that the liteon is on just cause im sick of messing with it..lol coming to the point of oh well i can still burn em from liteon player and the pioneer can burn and read em just fine just let it be and be happy but its just something that says tooney there is a conflict!..lol thanks for your response and tooneyville is located in LoonsWorld ( thats my own little happy place far away ) ^_*
    Last edited by tooneyville; November 1st, 2003 at 07:14 PM.

I mean to disconnect the Pioneer temporarily and connect the liteon to the primary slave and try it.
    Is this what you have done?

thats the way it orginally was setup b4 i added the ao5 b4 to answer your question yes i have tried it back that way it orginally was and it does work fine and also thats how it was set up b4 i decided to add the pioneer a05 as primary slave and hook up the liteon on the ata133 ide2 card as master now i can guess i can do some more switching and hook the writer to the ata133 ide2 to see if it simulates the same problem but with 4 more hd's running off or raid there is not to much room in my tower and my cables i have are not long enough for me to be able to just swap out and test it becomes a hassle then its almost worth
    Last edited by tooneyville; November 1st, 2003 at 07:46 PM.

I am puzzled as to why you put the hard drives on the secondary ide, rather than on the ata133?

The liteon would be much happier with a 40 sense cable on the secondary ide. They much prefer pio mode and not udma. Have a swap around with your hdds.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

well reason i did it was because the cables i had were not long enough to reach to top of the case and fit were they needed to go so i had to make use out of the space and reach i had ill take ya advice and try longer cables that will achieve what your asking me to do
    Last edited by tooneyville; November 1st, 2003 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I am puzzled as to why you put the hard drives on the secondary ide, rather than on the ata133?

The liteon would be much happier with a 40 sense cable on the secondary ide. They much prefer pio mode and not udma. Have a swap around with your hdds.
    ... but I'd qualify that & say that DVD/cdr stuff never works properly with 80 sense & udma only 'correctly' with 40 sense & dma, if you want to/have to use 80 sense, then you can only use PIO NOT udma.

There's a whole load of 'possibles' here ... you might have to try a great deal of them (IDE connection possibilities) before you get one that'll work 'absolutely' as it ought