Abit IS7-E, no post

Thread: Abit IS7-E, no post

Abit IS7-E, no post

I can not get anything on the screen when I power on a new machine i am putting together, Abit IS7-E, P4 1.5, 512 Cosair Twinx PC3200, 30gig HDD, Gainward GF4200 Ultra, Antec True Power 480w.

I power up, eveything spins up and I get nothing on my monitor, the amber light on the monitor does not click to green when I power up. Works with other machines. I also tried 2 othe rvideo cards, a agp ATI and a PCI card. I also changed the memory configuration around. and nothing.

Any thoughts, i am drawing a blank right now.

-----------------------------------
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TheCardMan
    I can not get anything on the screen when I power on a new machine i am putting together, Abit IS7-E, P4 1.5, 512 Cosair Twinx PC3200, 30gig HDD, Gainward GF4200 Ultra, Antec True Power 480w.

I power up, eveything spins up and I get nothing on my monitor, the amber light on the monitor does not click to green when I power up. Works with other machines. I also tried 2 othe rvideo cards, a agp ATI and a PCI card. I also changed the memory configuration around. and nothing.

Any thoughts, i am drawing a blank right now.

OK Your system board will only support processors that have 533/800 mhz bus. That processor you installed will not work on that motherboard. You must have 2.4 with a front side bus of 533 or higher to use that motherboard.

Gart=
    From Abit:
    Why couldn't the IC7 / IS7 series board boot up? It doesn't support old 400 FSB P4 processors?

Solution
    Intel recommends the new power design VRD10 for 875P boards, and ABIT IC7 series follow this design guideline. It supports the CPU core voltage from 0.8375 to 1.6 V; therefore, if an old 400 FSB P4 or Celeron processor with CPU core voltage 1.75V is installed onto a IC7 series board, the board will not provide such high core voltage and the CPU will malfunction. That's the reason why Willamette and old Celeron processors are incompatible with Intel 875P boards. The 400 FSB processors which could be used on IC7 series boards are Northwood P4 (512K L2) and Celeron 2G (128K L2, 1.525/1.530 V) and faster
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ies=1&model=80

Quote Originally Posted by garthg
    OK Your system board will only support processors that have 533/800 mhz bus. That processor you installed will not work on that motherboard. You must have 2.4 with a front side bus of 533 or higher to use that motherboard.
    technically... NOT TRUE...
    the problem is with the voltage not the bus speed. I have been running a 1.6a (low voltage, 400 fsb) in a 1s7-e for some time now (runs a little under 2.6).

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by thejokker
    technically... NOT TRUE...
    the problem is with the voltage not the bus speed. I have been running a 1.6a (low voltage, 400 fsb) in a 1s7-e for some time now (runs a little under 2.6).

Well if you read the spec's From Abit they say that the motherboard will not run any processor in the 400 mhz range. I have the same motherboard and I use a 2.6 mhz 800 mhz bus, and it works fine. Yes it may not be the speed but the voltage is the problem. But Look at the specs and that is what it tells you. Not everyone likes to overclock there processors.
    This is what Abit says about the problem.

Intel recommends the new power design VRD10 for 875P boards, and ABIT IC7 series follow this design guideline. It supports the CPU core voltage from 0.8375 to 1.6 V; therefore, if an old 400 FSB P4 or Celeron processor with CPU core voltage 1.75V is installed onto a IC7 series board, the board will not provide such high core voltage and the CPU will malfunction. That's the reason why Willamette and old Celeron processors are incompatible with Intel 875P boards. The 400 FSB processors which could be used on IC7 series boards are Northwood P4 (512K L2) and Celeron 2G (128K L2, 1.525/1.530 V) and faster!!!!!!

The reason that Willamette CPU would cause 865/875 chipset boards booting up failure is the VRD10 power spec designed on IC7/IS7 boards. On VRD10 compliant motherboards, the VID of Willamette CPU will be wrongfully identified as below 1.0V, which is far away from 1.7V by CPU default spec. Therefore, Willamette CPU couldn't get correct CPU core voltage to boot up on 875P and 865PE motherboards.

For example, Celeron 1.7G and P4 1.5G/1.7G are Willamette core and could not boot up on all 875P and 865PE motherboards; nevertheless, P4 2.4G(533) and Celeron 2.0G are Northwood core which are okay for 875P and 865PE motherboards. !!!!!
    Last edited by garthg; November 5th, 2003 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks for the input, I did not realize I could not run my P4 1.5 in this board. But shouldn't I have seen something on the screen when first powering up? Bios info? I pulled out the memory, HDD, video and just left the cpu in and powered up and did not even get any Beeps. I will try a 533 processor.
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TheCardMan
    Thanks for the input, I did not realize I could not run my P4 1.5 in this board. But shouldn't I have seen something on the screen when first powering up? Bios info? I pulled out the memory, HDD, video and just left the cpu in and powered up and did not even get any Beeps. I will try a 533 processor.

Good Luck!