Thread: Help _ Gateway Professional

Help _ Gateway Professional

Specs:

Intel PIII (800Mhz
    128MB RAM
    Quantum Fireball (10) GB
    Windows ME (ughhh)

Problem:

Takes a long time booting up. I press the escape key to clear the splash screen to only see windows updating please wait may take a few minutes. The next thing that happens, is the drive starts making a buzzing noise for 3-5 seconds then the screen pops up with a message " Windows can no upgrade the file %1 from %2." This happens about 6 - 7 time then boots to the desktop. I have run the diag tool Powermax and the drive comes back clean. If I boot to a DOS disk and fdisk, the drive comes back as a Non Dos Partition. The only thing I can think of is the disk has been formated NTFS? The system does have Go-Back installed. What can I do to resolve this boot problem? TIA

Try using the goback to "go back" to before they added whatever update it was that they added. Also you could try running windows update to see if everything is installed. Possibly try reinstalling IE (most common update). Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    Try using the goback to "go back" to before they added whatever update it was that they added. Also you could try running windows update to see if everything is installed. Possibly try reinstalling IE (most common update). Cheers.
    Thanks Gollo, did the Go-Back, Has IE 6.0 and checked the updates. I am installing AVG since they had Norton 2001 and plan running a scan. I did run Adaware and spybot and found 205 including new.net and plan on running the fix for this to see if it helps.

GoBack is the worst POS ever devised. get used to having problems as long as GoBack is on a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    Specs:

Intel PIII (800Mhz
    128MB RAM
    Quantum Fireball (10) GB
    Windows ME (ughhh)

Problem:

Takes a long time booting up. I press the escape key to clear the splash screen to only see windows updating please wait may take a few minutes. The next thing that happens, is the drive starts making a buzzing noise for 3-5 seconds then the screen pops up with a message " Windows can no upgrade the file %1 from %2." This happens about 6 - 7 time then boots to the desktop. I have run the diag tool Powermax and the drive comes back clean. If I boot to a DOS disk and fdisk, the drive comes back as a Non Dos Partition. The only thing I can think of is the disk has been formated NTFS? The system does have Go-Back installed. What can I do to resolve this boot problem? TIA
    1. Any GoBack drive shows up as a non-DOS partition. You need a very clueful partition tool to recognize it properly, then it will show as a GoBack partition.

2. The "Cannot upgrade %1 to %2" error is a particular problem with WindowsMe and some antivirus programs flooding the System Restore cache. You can usually cure it by disabling System Restore, rebooting the system immediately, then re-enabling System Restore, then rebooting immediately again. If that doesn't clear it you'll need to disable again, shut down, boot with a DOS floppy diskette and manually delete all the _RESTORE folders on all drives before you restart Windows and re-enable System Restore.

You can also try deleting the wininit.ini file for that 1% to 2% problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rgharper
    1. Any GoBack drive shows up as a non-DOS partition. You need a very clueful partition tool to recognize it properly, then it will show as a GoBack partition.

2. The "Cannot upgrade %1 to %2" error is a particular problem with WindowsMe and some antivirus programs flooding the System Restore cache. You can usually cure it by disabling System Restore, rebooting the system immediately, then re-enabling System Restore, then rebooting immediately again. If that doesn't clear it you'll need to disable again, shut down, boot with a DOS floppy diskette and manually delete all the _RESTORE folders on all drives before you restart Windows and re-enable System Restore.
    Thank you, will give this a try. Now that you mention it, it did start after I added the AVG program to the system.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    You can also try deleting the wininit.ini file for that 1% to 2% problem.
    As mentioned above, I may try this as well but save a copy in another folder for safe keeping just in case. I don't want to go back to Snorton.

Quote Originally Posted by geeksRus
    GoBack is the worst POS ever devised. get used to having problems as long as GoBack is on a machine.

I agree with Geeks and if I were you I'd get go-back off as soon as possible. You already found that you can see the drive unless go-back loads so if go-back gets hosed you may have problems getting data back....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Yes, ME is bad enough without GoBack.
    Plus ME already has System Restore function, so why the redundancy?
    Oh yeah, it's a Gateway.
    PS
    Good advice rgharper.