Notebook hard drive

Thread: Notebook hard drive

Notebook hard drive

I don't usually do much work with notebooks but a good friend of mine has an IBM Thinkpad 600E Type 4AU. It has lost the hard drive--dead! I have researched it and the original drive is a Hitachi DK228A-65 6.4GB drive. As far as I can tell this particular drive is extremely hard to come by these days--have found one that is a refurb that they want $144 for. Have found one that is a replacement for the DK228A. I have also found one at Newegg that is a 20GB drive (DK23EB-20) for $113. My question is- would this 20GB hard drive work for this system? I'm sorry but like I said I just don't usually mess with notebooks, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The drive would work, but the real question is if the notebook bios would see see 20G, or just 8G. Need to check on IBM support for the latest bios update if any.

The other thing to consider is the thickness of the drive... Wether or not it will fit in the space allotted for it...
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    The other thing to consider is the thickness of the drive... Wether or not it will fit in the space allotted for it...
    I'm pretty sure it will. All laptop drives are the same dimensions...You may have to take the old drive out of the drive caddie and install the new drive into it, then mount the assembly into the laptop, but physically there shouldn’t be any issues.

As stated, the big concern is whether the BIOS will detect the full drive. Even if it doesn’t, it should give you 8 gig…

an IBM laptop hdd failure?? say it isn't so.... I see about 2 of those a month..(and only about 40 of these laptops on site!!)...lots of them just out of warrany (i'm REAL sick of IBM)

Try www.compgeeks.com ......they usually have all kinds of new/used/refurb laptop drives in varying sizes.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I'm pretty sure it will. All laptop drives are the same dimensions...You may have to take the old drive out of the drive caddie and install the new drive into it, then mount the assembly into the laptop, but physically there shouldn’t be any issues.

As stated, the big concern is whether the BIOS will detect the full drive. Even if it doesn’t, it should give you 8 gig…

I disagree not all laptop drives are the same dimensions! you can get thin and ultra thin. If he can put a fairly modern one in he may be fine but Not ALL laptop drives are the same dimension.

---Edit ----

as in :

http://www.laptopharddrive.com/

9mm and 12mm slimline
    Last edited by Shard92; November 7th, 2003 at 11:14 AM.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Very well...I stand corrected...

Got a (small) stack of 600E's in various stages of decay hidden from boss. Both slim and extra slim fit and will run. Can't help on max drive size. We topped out at 6GB. Quick search of sites said some came with 10GB. If I can locate a functioning 20 I will try it. But you could have your drive in hand by then. 20's don't get left behind.

Check out http://www.laptopparts.com/default.asp they have a similar drive to the original for $79 bucks. They also have good sales and support guys.