No reboot?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No reboot?

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

No reboot?

I just built a machine for a relative of mine, and it installs windows fine (except wont reboot when its supposed to) and it seems to run fine, the only problem is that when you pick restart in windows, windows shuts down and then just a black screen. The same thing happened during the install of windows. It goes to the reboot in 15 seconds and then black screen and no reboot.

Seems to work fine other than that, boots and shuts down fine, just no reboot.

Specs
    Shuttle AV40 mobo (pulled from a working machine)
    Pentium 4 1.6 (pulled from a working machine)
    256mb samsung memory (pulled from a working machine)
    40GB Maxtor HD (pulled from a working machine)
    250watt AOpen PSU
    GF 4 MX 440
    AOpen Modem
    Kingston NIC

Has to either be something in the bios or in hardware, but I cant think of what it could be.

Any suggestions?
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I have one here at the office, completely different MoBo, I think it's a ASUS with an AMD chip. I spent two hours in every BIOS setting I could think of, updated the bios, new memory, different hard drive, removed all the cards, different video...

I finally gave up, told the guy not to restart, but to power down (which it does just fine), then start it back up.

The system had been like this since it was bought, I looked at it for the first time some two years later. Never seen anything like it!!! Had to be some defect I imagine…I don't have a warrantee to fall back on like you do however...

If you find something, do let us know!!!

I would try a different PSU........
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Well, the first thing Im going to do is remove all of the pci cards and then try, if that doesnt work, Im going to reset the bios to failsafe, if not that, Im gonna get the hammer

Keep the suggestions coming, Im at work now but Im gonna try when i get home
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I've seen a couple of those, BIOS update *AND* windowze reinstall fixed the problem
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    I would try a different PSU........
    Ok, it's something I haven't tired, but first...explain the logic in this suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    I've seen a couple of those, BIOS update *AND* windowze reinstall fixed the problem
    Unfortunately in my situation it didn't help. The reboot problem actually showed up during the windows setup every time, just as RD had discribed...

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Ok, it's something I haven't tired, but first...explain the logic in this suggestion...
    We are talking about a computer...there is no logic!

I am not sure about the logic, but it has worked for me in the past. Something to with the voltage signal that allows it to re-boot or something.

Sorry, I don't have a pat answer to this one, but it has worked for me.

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    I have the most recent bios
    And as stated above, i dont think that this is a windows problem, as it happended when initially installing

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Well it's a good enough explaination for me. I will have to take a minute next week and see if it would fix the one here...

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is just another one of those interrelated Windows shut down issues, right?
    Sometimes shut down won't work, but restart does as well.
    MS issued the patch for Win98 which sometimes worked but often did not.
    I had this issue several years back and patching, swapping parts, cleaning up the OS: nothing worked.
    Nothing until that is, I swapped the motherboard.
    Voila, problem gone.
    There is plenty of logic in a computer, sometimes it's just ridiculously hard to find it.

Shutdown works absolutely fine, but restart does not, this is when booted fully into win or when installing

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Correct me if I am wrong, but this is just another one of those interrelated Windows shut down issues, right?
    Sometimes shut down won't work, but restart does as well.
    MS issued the patch for Win98 which sometimes worked but often did not.
    I had this issue several years back and patching, swapping parts, cleaning up the OS: nothing worked.
    Voila, problem gone.
    There is plenty of logic in a computer, sometimes it's just ridiculously hard to find it.
    But sometimes the logic is illogical.......

I have been doing this for over 20 years. I have made stuff work by doing the most illogical, out of this world crap......Maybe in my cases, changing the PSU made the motherboard work properly.

Usually if it works, I dont question it much.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Voila, problem gone.
    That's what I am figuring on my issue. That was why I blew it off. I couldn't find anything wrong with the PC other than this, and I couldn't justify replacing a 2 year old motherboard for one little problem...

I am still gonna try the power supply. I didn't take notes, and I just don't recall that I swapped in a different one when I worked on this PC, so it's worth a shot…