CDRW on old PC?

Thread: CDRW on old PC?

CDRW on old PC?

My friend often asks me to burn CDs and now he wants a CDRW drive, but his PC is 100mhz, and has no drive bays, his CD ROM is already external.

I'm guessing this PC could burn at only 1 or 2x with no problems right? And I also noticed external CDRWs cost at least 5 times the price of an internal one, and I only found USBs and I don't think his PC has USB. Also, I dont think he has enough free space to copy a CD to his hard drive.

So is it worth getting a CDRW for that PC? I am thinking his only choice is a new PC, are there any other solutions?

Thanks
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; November 7th, 2003 at 06:52 PM.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    486/100 - Forget it
    P100 - maybe, with CDRWIN for DOS, whether it would work with a modern burner on the other hand is a question in itself.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Thats what I thought, its a Pentium by the way. Plus I'm dont think he has USB ports, he'd have to get a used LPT burner but he doesnt want a used one, so I guess his only choice is for me to build him a new PC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    Thats what I thought, its a Pentium by the way. Plus I'm dont think he has USB ports, he'd have to get a used LPT burner but he doesnt want a used one, so I guess his only choice is for me to build him a new PC.

Thanks
    Pentium 100 or not.
    Time to do your friend a big favor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com

Thanks
    YOU'RE going to build it............I can't wait........
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I've built many PC and none of them EVER had a problem, not even a single freeze, compare that to compaqs or other brand names that freeze a few times per hour.

And if you're saying that because of the problem with "my program", then email [email protected] and let them know their mscvrt.dll file causes serious problems with most of their OSs. If it was a bug in my code I would accept it and fix it, but it's not, there's nothing I can do about it but complain to M$.

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    YOU'RE going to build it............I can't wait........
    Oh.
    He's that one.

j/k

Well I went to see his PC and he has no USB ports. I said his only choise would be a used parallel CD writer which would take at least twice the CD length to copy (his CDROM is parallel too, 4x) and thats if he has enough disk space which he probably doesn't

So he says "forget it, it's not worth it, it's still a very good computer for many things" [boat anchor, oversized paper weight... that does two]

Oh, he then asked me if I had a DVD writer, I said not yet because I'm saving for a home theater projector (which I should get in 2-4 weeks, I already have a 700 watt 6.1 surround receiver, but the 19" PC screen kind of ruins the HT experience ). I said I will probably have a DVD writer in a few months though (I'll need it to record TV in high quality to use with the projector).

So he said:
    -Those are expensive right?
    -Yea
    -Like what? $150?
    -Uh... no... they start a $1 400 canadian

I don't think anyone would buy TVs if they could get screens measured in feet with a projector for $150