newbie question regarding file system

Thread: newbie question regarding file system

Hybrid View

newbie question regarding file system

I have just finished my install of Fedora Core 1 (Redhat 10) and all is well, however is there a way to be able to see my XP harddrive so I can copy some of my data over as I am going to give Linux a real try out. I saw on one system when you clicked on Start Here and then on File System, at the bottom was the /Windows which was infact the harddrive that windows was on.

Thanks in advance
    "...nothing about us, without us..."

I would guess the process is the same as it was in Red Hat 9 only the ntfs support may or may not be built into Fedora.

Of course that's only a blind guess coming from someone running mandrake/win98. Who can really tell what they're up to with ntfs on fedora.
    Last edited by craigmodius; November 9th, 2003 at 11:56 AM.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

thanks for the reply craigmodius. I followed the link for ntfs on linux you provided and now I have the access I was looking for, now I can truely give it a good try out.

Ok so I thought I had it all together but guess I was a bit off the mark, nothing new here..lol

I have the access to my windows drive if I go to /mnt and click the folder that I crated for the connection, is there a way to have it on the main folder tree , just to be lazy and cut out a couple of mouse clicks..... I know probably asking too much but hey, its a way to learn and this is still very new to me.

Thanks

i've always just put a shortcut or 'symbolic link' or whatever you want to call it in the /home/craigmodius directory (as well as the /home/craigmodius/desktop) to the /mnt/vfat or whatever you've called your windows mount point.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Thanks again craig, I will learn this eventually I am sure but at the momoent it is trying to overcome some of the "WINDOWS" way of doing things but I am sure that it can be over come....lol