Upgrading to W2K

Thread: Upgrading to W2K

Upgrading to W2K

Can anyone please help? I'm upgrading a Gateway PC from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 Pro. I'm getting a message saying the setup can't find drivers for any mass storage devices (they're not on the upgrade CD either). I guess I need W2K IDE drivers, but can't find anything on Gateway site. I've mailed them, but I'm not hopeful. Any ideas?

Mass storage device is usually a flash memory device, like a usb drive or a camera. If you have something like that attached, disconnect it. Hard drive should be natively supported. What is model # of gateway.

BTW, upgrade from 98 to 2K is not recommended. Clean install is the way to go.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thanks for reply. The PC is G6-350. I went for upgrade rather than clean install, because that was the recommended path in the setup process! I wasn't sure whether mass storage device referred to HDD or not. Various references on the web suggested that it might be HDD, and I didn't want to risk it having had problems with UNRECOGNIZABLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD in a previous motherboard upgrade on another machine. Do you really think it's not HDD?

No reason why it should be. Unless its got some bizarre chipset, no special IDE driver should be needed. I can't find detailed specs on that model. If you want to be certain, download Everest: http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...ng=en&pageid=3 and post motherboard\chipset info. But I'm fairly certain a clean install should eliminate the problem.

BTW, thats a fairly underpowered pc to be installing W2K. You can probably get it on there, but it will run like a slug.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thanks - I decided to take the risk and it all installed OK. Of course you're quite right about the PC, but I need to use my own machine (AMD 1300/528MB/120GB) as a dev machine, and my users (ie the rest of the family) get p****d off when I'm always taking it out of service for changes and they keep on getting error messages when they log in! All they need is Word, Excel and email, so they're getting the Gateway, and no outages. Why not leave W98 on it, I hear you cry! Because W2K/NTFS provides some privacy for personal files etc.

Thanks for your help.