No mouse in Windows 98

Thread: No mouse in Windows 98

Unhappy No mouse in Windows 98

When I load Windows 98 on a PC, the serial mouse works fine. Once Windows loads and it reboots for the last time and comes up, I have no mouse. There are no conflicts in the Device Manager on the Com ports. I have tried several different mice with no success. I have never run into this problem before. Can anyone give me a "fix" for this problem?

I would try going into my device manager. Right click My Computer and click Device Manager. Check for any yellow or red highlights next to the various devices. The red or yellow X is probably a good place to start looking.

If you have to reinstall a program do you get any error messages during installation? Make sure your antivirus program is TURNED OFF during installation. Also, you must UNINSTALL a program not simply delete it. This is to prevent "debris files" from cloging up the system and preventing the new files from loading.

Is there any software you installed previous to this happening? If so I would check that device or program.

IF you have a usb mouse I would check my usb installation. What I mean is that I would check to make sure my other usb devices are loaded correctly. Cross linking in usb devices is very common.

Run Scandisk and make sure "make copies" is checked under "cross linked files" under the Advanced setting. Use the regular, not the long version of scandisk.

Lastly, is the mouse plugged in all the way? Is it a particular kind of mouse? You'd be surprised the number of problems that are solved my simply by following the instructions.

Hope this helps.
    Bouncy Bouncy

[quote]Originally posted by aispc:
    <strong>When I load Windows 98 on a PC, the serial mouse works fine. Once Windows loads and it reboots for the last time and comes up, I have no mouse. There are no conflicts in the Device Manager on the Com ports. I have tried several different mice with no success. I have never run into this problem before. Can anyone give me a "fix" for this problem?</strong><hr></blockquote>

First thing I would do is boot the system to safe mode. Check your device mangler list, especially the mouse & ports. If there are any duplicates in there remove all references to the device then reboot.
    Windows should add only one back on restart. It really sounds as though the device list is holding 2 copies of each of your com ports. If that's the case they'll be in conflict with each other, and the port won't initalize.

Lightbulb

Check to see if the modem is using com1, if it is change it to com2. Also check your bios and see if the com ports are enabled..

Just a idea
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"