audio cd's won't play

Thread: audio cd's won't play

Unhappy audio cd's won't play

I have recently had extreme difficulty getting Norton System Works to install on my PC running windows ME. Having now succeeded after editing the registry manually (following instructions from Norton)my CDRW & DVD drives are both not working properly. They will read data etc. but will not play audio cds in either windows media player or real player. Media player results in error messages about digital/analogue settings but changing these has no effect. Form time to time an error also appears "sndsrvc caused an error in Kernell32.dll" Any help any one can give would be great. I apologise if this post is incorrect in any way, not enough info etc but I have never sought help this way before. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums;

What version on Norton are you using? Did you have any problems with the drives before installing Norton?

You could also try Winamp. Much better player than Real or Media player.
    Here is a link to their download site;

http://www.winamp.com/download/;$ses...YKAPTN241GRCZQ
    Last edited by eboyjones; November 12th, 2003 at 05:04 AM.
    "Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

also I believe your error message is coming from Norton.
    have not found the exact reference yet, but someone will.
    and if you had that much problem installing Norton I would suggest you unistall it. Here is a link to completely uninstall Norton;

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...3&osv=&osv_lvl=

scroll down the page to find unistall options.
    Last edited by eboyjones; November 12th, 2003 at 05:53 AM.

Norton is System Works 2004 professional. I believe the drives were working OK before but couldn't swear to it cos I don't play audio cd's that often, it could be something else that upset it.
    Following nortons advice I had to completely uninstall NSW manually several times, editing registry etc to ensure all traces of previous nortons were removed. It is still not quite right though because it won't run in all user profiles despite the fact I installed it in the default. Not happy with a product that conflicts with versions of itself & the only solution is so long winded. Thanks for your help I will try winamp. Is there a definitive resource that lists what programs different files relate to. I have often wondered what all those programs are to do with that run in the background? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by woody16
    Is there a definitive resource that lists what programs different files relate to. I have often wondered what all those programs are to do with that run in the background?
    Here are a couple of links. The first one list some apps. that run in the background.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

The second link is for startup apps.

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.php

enjoy

Yes Welcome Woody16.
    We have multiple issues and questions here, so let us take it one step at a time.
    Your first issue is sound, or lack thereof, with audio CD's and it probably isn't related to the NSW issue unless you did something really wrong in the registry.
    Give us details about your PC: make model etc, since all we know now is you are using WinMEeeek.
    What sound card is listed in Device Manager, and which Optical drive is the one connected to your sound card?
    You'll need to open her up for that last answer.
    When you do, try connecting the audio cable from one optical to the other and then try an audio cd.
    Let us know.

do you have a headphone socket on your cdrive? If so, plug some head phones directly in and attempt to play an audio cd... using the play button on the front of the cd.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the help guys. Seem to have solved the audio CD problem now.
    Still getting the error re SNDSRVC which appears to be Norton related but I am still waiting an answer from them!
    The link to the sites that list start up and running in the background programs are great. I disabled a few surplus to requirements and my computer is so much quicker. Cheers!