How to stop XP automatically detecting new devices and installing new drivers?

Thread: How to stop XP automatically detecting new devices and installing new drivers?

How to stop XP automatically detecting new devices and installing new drivers?

How do you stop Xp from detecting new devices and installing drivers even when you have already installed drivers manually? I have had this happen to a printer and a modem where I manually install drivers and then on re-boot XP detects the devices and installs different drivers. The device does not work with the drivers XP uses so that is why I installed different drivers in the first place. I have tried to allow the wizard to install the drivers I want but on reboot it detects the device again with a slightly different name and installs different drivers.

Any ideas how to stop this?

Its not 'this' you need to stop

Its whatever is causing windows to find them 'again wongly' that you need to stop.

My most likely candiate for this kind of confus-ion is Chipset Patches or more correctly lack of ...

Tell us more...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Its not 'this' you need to stop

Its whatever is causing windows to find them 'again wongly' that you need to stop.

My most likely candiate for this kind of confus-ion is Chipset Patches or more correctly lack of ...

Tell us more...
    Okay...I have just installed my modem using new drivers and it appears in the modem properties as Diamond Supra express 56k modem. When I re-boot my computer XP detects and installs a 56k data fax modem PnP.
    I choose the first modem as the default but I don't really want the other modem to be listed.
    A mate of mine had trouble trying to get his printer to work and found that if he used drivers for a slightly different model it worked properly. However each time he re-boted it would detect the printer and install original drivers which did not work properly anyway.
    How do we stop this????

Do we have chipset patches present or not for this particular motherboard? - they are 'required' to be there first before the next bit ...

Uninstall any s/w associated with your modem first (there mightn't be any) ... then physically pull the modem, reboot into safe mode (press f8 'muchly' at boot) remove any instances of any modems from device manager, shutdown, add back the modem card, reboot normally - windows will find your modem as 'whatever' ... do another re-tard to make sure its finnished finding it, then use the 'new' drivers to 'update' your 'pre-installed' ones that windoze installed for you (Open device manager, find your modem, click the update driver tab, show it the 'new' drivers).

Hopefully that'll fix you up ... your problem comes from these internal modems not 'really' being modems at all but 'serial communication devices' with a modem chip tacked on (I shan't bore you with the why's & wherefores) but briefly windows initially sees it as one thing, gives it an alias & decides that really its a modem, then it just confuses itself with your already present driver ... quel sūrprise !

If you just update what windows finds rather than creating 'another instance', I hope/think all will be well.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    .. your problem comes from these internal modems not 'really' being modems at all but 'serial communication devices' with a modem chip tacked on

But its an external modem...Does that change things???

Quote Originally Posted by riddellcomp
    But its an external modem...Does that change things???
    Not really just replace pull with unplug ... I assumed a pci card for the modem, main point being, update drivers rather than add, but delete all modems in safe mode to be sure they are gone & autodetect isn't doubling up.

The reasonings gone 'iffy' though , so I' ll try again :- here usb is signalling what windows knows as a '56k data fax modem PnP', the name difference is cosmetic & should be corrected by updating the driver windows first gives it.