Good used computer parts stores?

Thread: Good used computer parts stores?

Good used computer parts stores?

Anyone know of any. I'm looking for a dual board with procesors. Something nice ~$150 and I've been looking on Ebay but haven't found exactly what I want. Anyone know of any GOOD online retailers that I can rely on that would be selling equipment like this?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by ephmynus
    Anyone know of any. I'm looking for a dual board with procesors. Something nice ~$150 and I've been looking on Ebay but haven't found exactly what I want. Anyone know of any GOOD online retailers that I can rely on that would be selling equipment like this?
    What era are you looking at? The Palomino based Athlons and Durons were MP capable but the motherboard is still gonna be kinda pricey. The later P3s tend to still be expensive. Dual 500s may come in under $150 with board. Is this going to just be dual-cpu because you want a machine that is dual, or because you actually intend on doing work on it?
    Last edited by jaeger; November 20th, 2003 at 09:41 AM.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

What do you consider nice for $150? I saw some full servers with dual cpu and scsi drives for $35. the other day but the thing was like PII 350mhz which I bet you aren't considering to be nice...

Did you do a search on e-bay for servers? That's where you can find some crazy deals. Otherwise what Jaeger said above - look on pricewatch for motherboard combos and they have some dual boards.
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; November 20th, 2003 at 09:45 AM.

Yea, I'm looking at maybe dual PIII 500's or so which I may just split it up into two auctions if I do ebay as it seems like I may have more luck that way. I'm building myself a server for Christmas (one of my presents from my wife... isn't she great ) as I will be starting school before long and I really need to get back in the swing of things. I've never had a dually machine so when I decided to do a server, I figured I'd have some fun with it so I'm doing dual procs and SCSI.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Pricewatch
    Reseller Ratings

Find kit at pricewatch and only buy it if the site gets better than a 6 or so on reseller ratings. Reseller ratings will really help steer you away from some of the crappier sites out there.

Check this as well: Dual Durons
    With Durons at under $40 a pop you might be able to work something out with them and have a good performing machine. Athlons can also be had at this price point.
    Last edited by jaeger; November 20th, 2003 at 02:23 PM.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

I'm confused here. Software that supports dual processors is really limited, and some of it actually doesn't perform much better than it does on a single CPU. I can see wanting the board for a server, but why would you put a used board in a server? Usually servers are intended to have max reliabilty. For most other uses, you'd be better off buying a new, decent, inexpensive board, and a single processor.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    I'm confused here. Software that supports dual processors is really limited, and some of it actually doesn't perform much better than it does on a single CPU. I can see wanting the board for a server, but why would you put a used board in a server? Usually servers are intended to have max reliabilty. For most other uses, you'd be better off buying a new, decent, inexpensive board, and a single processor.

It's not for production in a business, it's for home use, and screwing around with to learn things. Doesn't need to be fast for that, just cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ephmynus
    Yea, I'm looking at maybe dual PIII 500's or so which I may just split it up into two auctions if I do ebay as it seems like I may have more luck that way. I'm building myself a server for Christmas (one of my presents from my wife... isn't she great ) as I will be starting school before long and I really need to get back in the swing of things. I've never had a dually machine so when I decided to do a server, I figured I'd have some fun with it so I'm doing dual procs and SCSI.
    Would you consider not building it yourself? I think your money would go further on Ebay if you bought a complete server instead of all the separate components one auction at a time. I have three Compaq servers that I use for self development when time permits. I bought each of them more or less complete. I think a Proliant 1850R would make a nice choice for the generation of processor you specified. You could also consider a Proliant 1600. The Proliant 1600 was very popular in its day, so there are plenty of good deals on Ebay. It was capable of using the processor you want, but you will find most of them are built for PII 400 on average. If you are willing to concede some speed, the 1600 would be cheaper, otherwise you could get the 1850R. The 1850R can go up to dual PIII 600. Also, it only takes up 3u in a rack of you think that will ever be a benefit.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Sure, most apps will only use one CPU....but you can have two apps running at once that are each using 100% of CPU time. SMP is great for multitasking. Why do you think my UD Agent scores are so good?
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||