Choosing a PDA

Thread: Choosing a PDA

Choosing a PDA

Hey alllll... I am suddenly in the market for a good PDA, and I have to admit I know absolutely NOTHING about them. But I figure if anyone will know this inside out it will be the Windrivers community at large...

Typical stuff like address/phone numbers, schedule, memo pad, etc...

I want something with audio alarms for scheduled events, the more that you can set the better.

I don't need games.

Also, what sort of price is a good price for a new or used PDA?
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

My father recently bought the XDAII - pda and phone, fabulous thing... droool... you can even attach a full size keyboard which folds up to the size of a large wallet.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

this maybe could be of some help
    http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/

Thank you both, after looking through that link, I realize I'm going to have to do a lot of research if I want the right bang for my buck...
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward Clam
    Thank you both, after looking through that link, I realize I'm going to have to do a lot of research if I want the right bang for my buck...
    The inexpensive Dell models arent too bad although can be glitchy. I personally like the Toshiba's myself and the E355 series is an EXCELLENT buy. I own it predecessor the E330 and love it. Main iprovement is that the screen on the E355 is a much better screen.
    If its not broke, then upgrade anyways!

Who ever said computers were logical?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward Clam
    Hey alllll... I am suddenly in the market for a good PDA, and I have to admit I know absolutely NOTHING about them. But I figure if anyone will know this inside out it will be the Windrivers community at large...

Typical stuff like address/phone numbers, schedule, memo pad, etc...

I want something with audio alarms for scheduled events, the more that you can set the better.

I don't need games.

Also, what sort of price is a good price for a new or used PDA?
    Well my better half has been using a Palm M125 for two years and likes it. It was basic back then and way out of date today, but she loves it. For X-Mas this year I'm going to get a Garmin iQue 3600, with Palm OS 5.0 and a built in GPS system. She has wanted a GPS system for her car for a while now so this will kill two birds with one stone... It can play MP3's, record messages and is voice activated as well. Amazon has them for $450...

It may not be what you want but I figured I would pipe in my two cents anyway!

Your original post seems to indicate that your needs lean more towards the PalmOS family of PDA devices than towards the PocketPCs.

I'm using the Sony Clié PEG SL10 (monochrome) with a 128MB memory stick and I love it. My previous handhelds were also PalmOS based (Palm m100, PalmIII and a short stint with a first or second generation Palm Pilot also).

Scheduling is a breeze. alarms work well, speed is nice, etc.

Unless you have a specific need such as wireless connectivity or PocketWindows apps you just need to have, then mayby a PalmOS PDA isn't what you're looking for.

A friend of mine has just purchased the Palm Zire71 and I'm sooooo jealous. It has MP3 playback and video (RealONE player) and a built in digital camera as well as the usual slew of Palm software.

If you're looking primarily for bang for the buck and expansion, look into PalmOS devices. (I recommend Palm Tungsten/Zire, Sony Cliés (mucho features and added apps)). They also have the most software titles available.

If you're looking for a multimedia device that you can lug around with you, than PocketPC devices would be your forst pick.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams