Speaker system recomendations
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Speaker system recomendations

Speaker system recomendations

Hey guys and gals,
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson

for what?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I get so tired of being the only one who reads peoples minds. Someone else want to answer this for me...

Sorry, something got screwed up when i made the post. Here is what i wrote :

Hey guys and gals. I am looking for a decent quality 2.1 (left, right, sub) speaker set. I am looking to spend about $75. I have looked in the stores around here and most of the ones I went to didn't have any working demo systems. I have found several set in my price range online but I can't test them out for myself. Any input would be apreciated!

I must have hit <tab> then <enter> after my greeting.

how about a list of what you have found in your price range?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Here is what I have found:

Sicuro 360° Surround Sound 2.1 Model RW-360XL

Cyber Acoustics A3780

Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3300

Midiland Powerstixx 60W 2.1

Altec Lansing ATP3W 2.1 Speaker System

I have only heard of Creative and Altec Lansing, I am not familiar with the other brands so I was hoping you guy might know a bit more about them. I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks

I would go with the altecs personally.

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    I've had an Altec Lansing 2.1 system for about 3 years now, and I'm still very happy with it.
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    I have a basic 2.1 setup for my laptop when it's at home. Logitech SoundMan X1. Good strong output, but the mid-range is a bit lacking. Cheap though.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Two thumbs up for the Altec Lansing set - I only have Good things to say about them
    Also try to get a hold on a Decent Harman Kardon Set (Their quality is alos Gr8).

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I get so tired of being the only one who reads peoples minds. Someone else want to answer this for me...
    Physic Ya_know .... scary! ... do you know about the 'speiling mistook' I think everytime I write your moniker ?

$75 or £45/64€ (for the dollar challenged among us) ... should buy you some 'very decent' 2.1 speakers ... but what's it twinned with ? strikes me most cheap & cheerful speakers will do you just as good a job as more 'pricey' items if you have 'the usual' standard of s/c ... usually I end up recommending headphones for audiophiles anyway.

Anyway on what's suggested so far Altec, followed closely by (much as it hurts to say) the creative Trigue (if you can get them for less than $75 that's very good )...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Physic Ya_know .... scary! ... do you know about the 'speiling mistook' I think everytime I write your moniker ?

$75 or £45/64€ (for the dollar challenged among us) ... should buy you some 'very decent' 2.1 speakers ... but what's it twinned with ? strikes me most cheap & cheerful speakers will do you just as good a job as more 'pricey' items if you have 'the usual' standard of s/c ... usually I end up recommending headphones for audiophiles anyway.

Anyway on what's suggested so far Altec, followed closely by (much as it hurts to say) the creative Trigue (if you can get them for less than $75 that's very good )...
    I have the nvidia sound storm audio on my Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mother board. I know it is capable of handling 5.1 but unfortunately I do not have space for the extra speakers in my room here. Thank you all for your info and for not beating me up because I made a mistake posting the topic It looks like I will get the Altec Lansing set unless anyone can come up with a better product.

can be hard to find, but I'm very fond of Yamaha in the 2.1 speaker range. I have a 2.1 set (YST-MS201) at work on a Mac G4 (don't know what the sound card inside is, probably not as good as my SBLive 5.1, but sounds great for classical/jazz).

At home I have a separate Yamaha 20 W subwoofer, and two 30 W satellites. The satellites can be connected up separately from the subwoofer, which I like better than fiddling with short cable lengths in an 'integrated' set.

cambridge soundworks

Look at cambridge soundworks.....i'm sort of an audio elitist, but for 75 bucks, you can get a powered speaker system with a small sub, that won't annoy the hell out of you.

www.cambridgesoundworks.com

Oh and BTW, if you want a really cheap increase in quality, throw out the cheap wire that comes with them, and buy some 14 gauge, for like 5 bucks at a U-DO-IT (don't buy designer brand)... You'll hear an improvement in treble...something noticieable when you don't have a separaate tweeter .
    Last edited by ScorpioIlya; November 25th, 2003 at 09:38 AM.
    RCVC (Russian Certified Vodka Drinker), Meathead+