Topologilinux

Thread: Topologilinux

Topologilinux

This version of linux is based on slackware 9.1 It installs into a virtual partition on the hard drive (it is a .img file) of the size of your choosing. It then runs a .bat file from the dos prompt to boot. If you have windows2k or xp then you can have it configure your boot.ini file to give you the option to boot to either linux or windows. If you ever want to get rid of it just delete the file in windows and it's done. No messy partitioning just a quick simple install. It saves the configurations (unlike knoppix) and it can talk directly to the hardware without any virtual drivers (like vmware).

This is a great learning tool for those that want to dig into linux more deeply then just using it with a cd based version (i.e. knoppix). Cheers.

http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Thanks, maybe this will get me past my boot partition problems.
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

umm I want to try this, they have a abse package and its only 54 mb, wonder fi ic an get this to install in ramdisk ummm like a 128 mb compact flash card ummm

Ok, maybe I'm dense, but the installation document (http://topologi-linux.sourceforge.net/installation.php) says you need to create a partition for it. Am i reading it wrong?

Augurr

Ummmm.... yes j.k.

The "partition" it creates is a virtual one. All's it does is create two files named base.img and swap.img in a folder named tlinux4 on your harddrive. You need at least 2.5GB to do the full install (they say 2 but add a little more if you have the space so you can add your own programs). The default will be just under the fat32 limit of 4096mb (is that right?) which should be fine. That's what I have. If you have 2k or xp it will then ask you if you want to install the "boot manager". All's this does is edit your boot.ini file to give you the option to boot to windows or linux. I suggest this. If you decide not to install that option then you'll need to use the cd or create a boot disk to boot to a dos prompt (if you have a fat32 partition that is). If you decide you don't like it all's you have to do is boot to windows and delete the folders tlinux4 and boot from your hard drive (the boot folder has all the boot information that linux needs to boot from a windows based system). You will also want to edit your boot.ini file to remove the option if you uninstall. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

Cool

made the install cd's and put it on my system last week, works great.
    Thanks for the info, Gollo. This is a great way to learn windows without trashing your system in the process and getting frustrated.
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Quote Originally Posted by cabal
    made the install cd's and put it on my system last week, works great.
    Thanks for the info, Gollo. This is a great way to learn windows without trashing your system in the process and getting frustrated.
    um linux right? You mean learn linux.

Talking

Yes, I meant learn Linux.
    that's what I get for posting on only one cup of coffee.
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Topologi crashing machine

My attempt to install topologilinux has crashed my system repeatedly. something about IRQ less or eual, which leads to a physical dump. Any suggestions as to how to correct this. How do I read the numbers displyed or use it to correct my machine. Thanks.

Never mind

If i May answer my own question... I decided to do it in safe mode with networking. after which I restarted the machine and chose the topologilinux optiojn for boot. follow the prompts by first choosing instalation from the menu of items given.

Help. Cant install linux on my machine. I dont understand, I keep getting dumping physical memory, somethig about IRQL not less or equal. Sounds like adriver problem but no dice.. I am using a fused core dell optiplex. does this have anything to do with it?

I also sense that the installation might be trying to get the monitor from windows but this is not permitted which may cause the crash everytime. I have tried everything I know to do.