What is A network Adapter ??

Thread: What is A network Adapter ??

What is A network Adapter ??

i know this might seem a stupid question...

the pc environment is not a stranger to me ,but i don't deal with networking.

my question is what is a network adapter and when one is needed ??..

i personally connect to the internet through a usb adsl modem but i know alot

of people are buying new computers with a network adapter built it - HOW does

that help them connect to the net using Cable or ADSL ?

is it Hardware or also Software ???....

to sum up : is it needed for the internet ?? pc to pc connection???
    what kind of a connection requires it ? hardware or software..?

Thanks !!!

Well, when most people are talking about a network adapter in my experience, they mean a network interface card. It's a piece of hardware such as an eithernet card (cat5) or a wireless card (802.11a or b or g) or some other type of card (bnc, phone network etc.). This would be how you physically would connect two or more computers, either directly or through a network device such as a hub, router, switch etc.

But there are also software network adapters. When you use dial-up, your computer has a dial-up adapter in windows that controls your TCP/IP connection. AOL uses a customized version of this software. There are also virtual network adapters.

As far as USB is concerned, I use my ethernet connection instead. Ethernet has a higher bandwidth than USB (faster data transfer). You probably won't notice the speed difference when it comes to your Internet downloading, but communicating locally with other computers on the network is much faster, so you would use the ethernet to connect the cable modem to your router. I know there are other people who can probably explain it better (I'm kind of new to this too ) but I wanted to reply first. :P

thanks for the quick response...!!!

more info will be greatly appreciated...!

for example....in order to connect 2 computers, will a usb cable be enough for the data transfer (and a software network adapter )???

when i use my usb modem..XP uses software network adapter ?

If you think about the interNET - you are joining a dirty great NETwork.

In the broadest sense when you have more than one computer communicating, you have a network.

In order to connect two computers you have a range of options:

USB direct connection (special cable)
    Serial cable direct connection
    Parallel cable direct connection
    Cross over cat 5 connection connecting to a network card in each machine
    Straightthrough connection connecting the network cards to a hub, switch or router

You cannot just use any usb cable to connect two computers - would damage the usb ports

xp uses a dialup adapter of somesort when there is no real network card. a usb modem is not a real network card, so it creates a virtual one.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

thanks ...

another question though....
    the adsl modem has one output/input which connects to the phone line.
    i say it's an input/output because it uploads and downloads through the same line.now say i have 2 computers with no network adatper but 2 adsl modems,
    can i connect the the 2 computers with these modems using that one line??

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    thanks ...

another question though....
    the adsl modem has one output/input which connects to the phone line.
    i say it's an input/output because it uploads and downloads through the same line.now say i have 2 computers with no network adatper but 2 adsl modems,
    can i connect the the 2 computers with these modems using that one line??
    Nope you need two lines, then you'd create a VPN (virtual Private Network) between the two, which seems a bit bizarre to me so far ...

There's hardware that needs to sit in between the two 'modems' (they ain't modems at all ! but that's another story ) to interpret & re-route the signals, so you can't directly connect the two (not without more 'stuff' which seems to me a lot harder than buying two network cards & a x-over cable, or two network cards & a switch/hub/router & some patch leads).

Just what are you trying to do !?!

actually ...i'm currently not trying to do anything, i'm just a little interested in the subject and i enjoy very much reading you input..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    actually ...i'm currently not trying to do anything, i'm just a little interested in the subject and i enjoy very much reading you input..!!!
    ... you confus-ed me ! ... normally folks do it the other way around ... try something, get it wrong & then ask !

I can give you links on 'simple networking' to read if you like ? Or just keep on posting those 'fool' questions (no question is foolish, just ones you don't have an answer for ) & someone will get around to answering ...

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i didn't mean to confuse you...though i get your point..

i did learn a lot though..!!!

just wait until next time..

Thanks !!

NooNoo ...these look like great sites to learn from...

thanks !!

You are most welcome

Noo, has beaten me to the punch yet again, & seems to have given you two very good sites to start with, my 'dummies' recommended starting point is over at How stuff works - whack 'computer networks' in the box !(or whatever you want explained, use its links not the sponsored ones) - non nerdy explanations, which are very good