Help - How to set-up wireless router with an existing (wired) router?

Thread: Help - How to set-up wireless router with an existing (wired) router?

Help - How to set-up wireless router with an existing (wired) router?

Hi.

I have Windows XP Pro and already have a small home network using the Network Everywhere NR041 router.

I just got a wireless router, the AirWay Transport and I'm trying to set that up so that I can share my cable connection over the air with my Pocket PC and laptop.

Having some trouble though. The software that came along with the AirWay cannot find the router and basically I cannot access the AirWay's configuration menu which should have been at http://192.168.0.1.

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Many thanks.
    Phoebus

Mmmm ... well the simple answer would be that you don't really need two routers, strikes me that with a home network you are complicating matters muchly. You want a hub(very cheap) for your existing network (sell the old router?) & connect that into your wireless router (I can't find your 'stuff' to say it has all the right 'holes' for sure - Can you post us links? )

You can do what you want with what you've got, but I hope you aren't in a rush to get it all going, I anticipate it might take a fair few questions & answers to get all the settings 'just so' & that's before we get around to NAT & firewalls & the like !

Arnmed with this 'knowledge' any comments ?

Hi confus-ed and thanks for replying.

Well. I definitely need my existing router because I have a few computers in different rooms which are connected through it.

I'm sure that it would make things a lot easier if I didn't have it but I need it.

When I connect my wifi router into my regular router and then go to the regular router's settings I can see that the wifi is connected and has an ip address.

I think I should look for a setting that gives complete "freedom" to the wifi but I'm not sure what to look for.

Like you said, I know I can do what I want with what I've got... will keep trying!

Thanks again.
    Phoebus

You tried configuring with it connected to just one pc?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    You tried configuring with it connected to just one pc?
    Nope, I haven't tried that yet. I'm pretty sure it's gonna work if I try it but I'm not sure how that would help me exactly. Any thoughts...?

You have got the manual with this haven't you?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yeap, I have the manual but it's not much help I'm afraid. Anything in particular I should look for in the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebus
    ...Well. I definitely need my existing router because I have a few computers in different rooms which are connected through it.

I'm sure that it would make things a lot easier if I didn't have it but I need it..
    'scuse if I'm 'backtracking'

Just how many 'holes' on your wireless router (if I could 'find it' I wouldn't be asking ) ... almost all have a built in 'hub' usually with 4, 6, or even 8 connection points, which you could use instead of your existing router (maybe no need for an extra hub/switch as 'probably' this can take all the connections you have anyway ??).

If you tell me, I promise to stop asking !

ok, I've used the wired router you're using (it's great little piece) and I think your problem lies in the fact that both routers use 192.168.0.1 as the admin page. Do what noonoo suggested and connect to the wireless seperately with another computer. Then look to see if the wireless router has an option to turn it into a dumb switch (no routing, I know the network everywhere router can do that). If the wireless can't, you may have to make it the primary router and hook the wired one to it as a regular switch and let the wireless router handle all the routing.

Wow , can I use the word routing anymore in 1 post?
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap