Random Shutdown Syndrome!

Thread: Random Shutdown Syndrome!

Question Sony Vaio's unwanted shutdown!

have this sony vaio PCG-F350 laptop
    Bios Version R0206k0
    PII 366
    Win 98 SE
    64mb ram, firewire, pc card slot, 10 gig Hard drive.
    tried to upgrade the ram to 128mb, but when i also tried to upgrade to win me, the system just shut down, and seemed to go into a hibrenation mode where the laptop is still pwoeed on with just a a black screen.
    thought it may have been a bad piece of memory, so i put the old one back in, but still i get the same thing. the system starts to load the os then shuts down.
    then i tried to restore the lap to its original state, but it just gets to any given point when the os is installing and the screen goes black, with no cursor.

any ideas as to what might be happening here? thanks...........

Quote Originally Posted by 2ftrain576
    have this sony vaio PCG-F350 laptop
    Bios Version R0206k0
    PII 366
    Win 98 SE
    64mb ram, firewire, pc card slot, 10 gig Hard drive.
    tried to upgrade the ram to 128mb, but when i also tried to upgrade to win me, the system just shut down, and seemed to go into a hibrenation mode where the laptop is still pwoeed on with just a a black screen.
    thought it may have been a bad piece of memory, so i put the old one back in, but still i get the same thing. the system starts to load the os then shuts down.
    then i tried to restore the lap to its original state, but it just gets to any given point when the os is installing and the screen goes black, with no cursor.

any ideas as to what might be happening here? thanks...........

This model Vaio had flakey mbs. Bad caps. Believe there are 11 that need replacing. Also, Vaio's are prone to havung loose memory socket connections that require resoldering. Better off looking for a replacement mb from partsolver.com

Question Random Shutdown Syndrome!

i was working on a Sony Viao PCG-F350 laptop for a customer, when it started to develop some strange behavior. at first i thoughtit was bad drivers, then maybe a bios setting was off, but

through further research i have found out that this Sony PCG-F350 has developed the random shutdown syndrome. i understand that this problem originates at the cpu socket on the daughter card attached to the motherboard, and is not rare among Sony Vaio laptops. however i do not know much more than that.
    does anyone know if it is a problem that can easily be fixed? or does it require a more detailed soultion?

"Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

to remove the old caps do I just pull them off?

NO!!!!!

They have to be unsoldered carefully and there replacements must be soldered back carefully!!!

The replacements must be the same specifications.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."