cd burner will not read that disk is in drive

Thread: cd burner will not read that disk is in drive

cd burner will not read that disk is in drive

I have a MSI 48x16x48 CD burner and I have used it in the past but not for about 4 months. I have burned pictures on CDs before succcesfully, but my latest attempts have been frustrating. No matter what I do, the comment keeps popping up "please insert disk" or words to that effect. I used to use it as a regular cd drive, but it won't even let me do that, no matter what disk I put in, it just keeps coming back with the same comment, "please insert disk". I am running NERO 5 burning program on it and my operating system is ME. Any suggestions?
    billwil

Have you tried inserting a lens cleaner cd yet?
    Last edited by Orangeman; December 4th, 2003 at 02:46 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

start by downloading and installing this then check its installed ok by using the the aspichk.exe. Reinstall Nero and go to Nero.com for your updates (it depends exactly which version you have) and then try again.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

First discover whether it is s/w confus-ed-ness or the unit is failing ?

Try booting from your windows cd ! if it won't do that you have a physical problem - if it will you can then start with s/w ....

Hi,
    Since last week I have the same issue with my Philips CDD 2600 burner and Nero 5.5. Till then reading CD's with the drive was possible but after trying to write a CD after more then a year it failed suddenly. First a few simulation runs went well till I asked it to write for real. It came with a Power Calibration Area error.
    It looks as if Nero turned off the Laser permanently after the last simulation phase before the actual writing phase.
    Mounting the drive with the SCSI card in a system it work well in before gave the same result. OS both systems is Win98 with CPU 200 MHz and 64 MB.
    I took off the cover and noticed that the spindle will not start when a CD is inserted.
    So if anyone knows how to turn on the Laser again (if that is the problem?) I would appreciate the information too.

Same advice to you ... test the unit 'somehow' so either by trying to boot from it, or in a known working good system, once you are inside windoze 'anything' can be doing it !

btw power calibration issues are almost always media based, not an indication of some 'stuck' mechanism

power calibration issues I have also seen when the unit overheats.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    power calibration issues I have also seen when the unit overheats.
    That'd depend on what s/w you are using, not the actual underlying cause but what it reports as an error - ANY power calibration error is the result of it attempting to read the media & adjust the lazer accordingly prior to writing & its failure, agreed many units report calibration issues when the real reason is overheating, but they ought really to report the 'real' reason, they just don't have bios routines to report the error as anything else

Well, tried all suggestions, including trying to get it to read from windows etc, no go, finally looked up receipt and lo and behold still under warranty for 21 days, so took it back to dealer, they tested it and verified that it was a hw problem , new CD burner on the way. Thanks all.
    billwil

Well ... result !!! ,fair exchange is no robbery

I think considering you removed the cover, which strictly voids any warranty, their attitude is most 'pleasing'