Mandrake Run of a CD
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mandrake Run of a CD

Mandrake Run of a CD

Incase you missed it on slashdot Mandrake juuuuust came out with a version of Mandrake Linuz that runs off a bootable CD.

from slashdot...

joestar writes "MandrakeSoft just announced the release of the MandrakeMove release candidate, a special desktop version of the Mandrake Linux distribution that boots live from the CD and uses a USB key (included in the retail version) to automatically store personal data. It looks a bit like Knoppix, but comes with more features, such as the capability to eject the MandrakeMove CD-ROM during its use, in order to read audio or video files from another CD! The download release candidate is available here."

MandrakeMove

I'm downloading it now ;-)
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

umm might have to check it out

I'm downloading it AGAIN!

aaaaaaaaannnd THIS time I'm gonna run the md5 checksum before burning the disc.

...but it looked really cool before my bad download made it go into an infinite-monitor-flickering loop.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius

aaaaaaaaannnd THIS time I'm gonna run the md5 checksum before burning the disc.

...but it looked really cool before my bad download made it go into an infinite-monitor-flickering loop.
    I'm downloading it to as we speak. The only one I saw was the beta version but I will try it anyway. I think they said the usb key wasn't going to work on the beta version.
    Anyway, I'll check it out later and see how it goes...

aaaaaaaaannnd THIS time I'm gonna run the md5 checksum before burning the disc
    What does the md5 checksum disk do??
    ive downloaded and installed several previous versions of mandrake, but never that file,,ive never really understood what that file was about, so i never tried it lol
    trout

Quote Originally Posted by Trout
    ive downloaded and installed several previous versions of mandrake, but never that file,,ive never really understood what that file was about, so i never tried it lol
    trout
    What it does is when a person provides a file for public use they create a md5 checksum key. This file is generated using a program that scans the file and runs an algorithem against it and generates a key. You then download both the key and the file and when the file is completed (or so it says) then you run a program that checks to see if the file you downloaded matches the one that was used to generate the checksum key. If even one byte has changed on the file it will not be the same number and you know that either the download is not complete or you have downloaded a bogus file.

For windows based checksum go here Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

trout
    the md5 is a way of verifying that the iso file you've downloaded is in good shape. A little file which verifies that the huge iso will work right when you burn it to disk.

I've downloaded about a dozen different linux iso's over the last few years and never had any bad downloads till this one.

I used md5summer and it did the trick nicely it showed my first download was a bad one and when I re-downloaded it the md5 showed that my re-download was good to go, and sure enough it worked. A little more info here

the md5 is a way of verifying that the iso file you've downloaded is in good shape. A little file which verifies that the huge iso will work right when you burn it to disk.

OK Sounds Great,
    That explains one of my other downloads not working.
    Now,, does the program run under windowsOr linux? (Md5)
    Forgive my newbie questions lol,,I really like linux,, but other than installing it on a few test machines,, Ive hardly touched the tip of the iceberg at learning it .
    Trout

OK Sounds Great,
    That explains one of my other downloads not working.
    Now,, does the program run under windowsOr linux? (Md5)
    Forgive my newbie questions lol,,I really like linux,, but other than installing it on a few test machines,, Ive hardly touched the tip of the iceberg at learning it .
    Trout
    there is a windows version called md5summer that i linked above that works nicely.

if you install md5summer...

during install let it associate itself with md5 file extensions,

download the mandrakemove md5 file (should be very small),

put the md5 file in the same directory as the mandrake iso,

then right click the md5 file and select "verify with md5 summer"

you may have to click OK to a couple dialog boxes about ''ASCII generated sums'' and ''do you want to see a list of errors'',

after it scans the file you should arrive at a greenlight/redlight dialog box. so long as you have a green light on the line refrencing the iso file then you should be good to go.

Verifying from Linux is another matter, I thiiiinnnnk you just shell out and type "md5sum the_name_of_the.iso " without the quotes, but I may be wrong.

Thanx for info - yet another good tip from windrivers forum users
    All who wander are not lost

What were we talkin bout ?

OK,, Now This Is REALLY Really Cool,,, I Am Typing This From The Mandrake Move CD I Just Burned,, NO Problems getting online at all~!!!
    Clicked Konqueror, Typed In Windrivers.com,, POOF,, Im There Instantly~!

Things seem a tad hesitent But over all,, This Is Pretty Neat.
    Even Seems to allow CD Burning,,, Though I Havent Tried It Yet,
    I Have the CD In My DVD Drive,So I'll have to play here a little and see how it goes.
    This system
    AMD 1700XP
    512 megs pc2100
    artec CDRW
    Artec DVD
    realtek netcard 10/100
    GeForce 4 440mx
    onboard sound ac97
    motherboard FIC AD11 Via/Amd chip
    usb card reader {dunno if its working

Welp,, I'll keep ya guys posted
    Trout

update

Update,,, DONT Run Tux Racer,, LOL Its REALLLLLLLLY Slow motion,Couldnt burn a cd yet, It has an aplication for it,, But,I Couldnt use It, Needs a apti or scsi emulator?,, i forgot to write it down.
    Also,, Forget getting in windrivers chat,Just sits there blank screened.
    Trout
    Last edited by Trout; December 4th, 2003 at 10:39 PM.

Update,,, DONT Run Tux Racer,, LOL Its REALLLLLLLLY Slow motion,Couldnt burn a cd yet, It has an aplication for it,, But,I Couldnt use It, Needs a apti or scsi emulator?,, i forgot to write it down.
    Also,, Forget getting in windrivers chat,Just sits there blank screened.
    Trout
    Just downloaded the Mandrake Move cd. It's supposed to be the beta that came out Dec 1 2003. It says it doesn's support the USB key in the beta version. I booted it up and it doesn't pick up everything like Knoppix does. It asks a few questions when it starts up and my sound didn't work just like it did in 9.1 and 9.2. Checked the drivers for my soundblaster live and it chose the right driver. I thought the soundblaster live was a pretty standand card now, guess not.

It did run a little slow on mine. I have about 640 megs of ram. The reg version of 9.1 runs much better for me.

WAS Wondering if the 9.2 MOVE version still has problems with the LG cdroms as my pc at work is a Dell and has that drive installed. Don't want to mess up the company's system!!

ANyway, I liked Knoppix for a bootable linux cd. Picked up all my drivers correctly and ran a little better than the mandrake bootable....

ANyway, I liked Knoppix for a bootable linux cd. Picked up all my drivers correctly and ran a little better than the mandrake bootable....
    I Tryd Kop.. Couldnt get a desktop for some odd reason,But, I do plan on trying it again,, might have been a bad download or burn.
    The Mandrake Move after more playing is pretty neat,, I think it by default runs to high of a resolution on my GeForce4 440MX 64 meg ,, that might explain part of the VERY slow preformance on tux racer, as well as the tiny tiny mouse cursor.
    I'll be trying it more today,,, It was late, I Was Tired, And My Gal was Frisky lol
    Trout
    Last edited by Trout; December 5th, 2003 at 11:18 AM.

I Tryd Kop.. Couldnt get a desktop for some odd reason,But, I do plan on trying it again,, might have been a bad download or burn.
    The Mandrake Move after more playing is pretty neat,, I think it by default runs to high of a resolution on my GeForce4 440MX 64 meg ,, that might explain part of the VERY slow preformance on tux racer, as well as the tiny tiny mouse cursor.
    I'll be trying it more today,,, It was late, I Was Tired, And My Gal was Frisky lol
    Trout
    hmmm
    I have the same graphics card and you do the GeForce4 440 MX 64 meg and I can't get tux racer to run.. It say "Input not supported" and I have a blank screen on the monitor. Hmmm I wonder if it's my monitor and not my card. I have a flat panel monitor.

Since, You just boot up Mandrake move without any modifications and it likes your card sounds like the only thing left is my monitor. Maybe' I'll put another monitor and try it again just to see.