Word 97 and Win2k problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Word 97 and Win2k problem

Word 97 and Win2k problem

When my user opens a word doc it tells him that the document is already open and would he like to open a copy. After he makes his changes he is unable to save the file to the same filename. Permissions on the original file are set to everyone. I understand that his save problems are due to his having a copy open, but what gives? Why won't the original open? Where am I missing the permissions setting?
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Where are the files located that he is opening? Are they network shared files, locally stored...more specifics.

I have seen Virus scanning software on the server side do this very thing, when you first open the file, it creates temp files with real-time monitoring, and actually locks the original file. InoculateIT version 4.53 did it...only way out you had to turn off virus wall incoming option in realtime monitoring. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Where are the files located that he is opening? Are they network shared files, locally stored...more specifics.

I have seen Virus scanning software on the server side do this very thing, when you first open the file, it creates temp files with real-time monitoring, and actually locks the original file. InoculateIT version 4.53 did it...only way out you had to turn off virus wall incoming option in realtime monitoring. Just a thought.
    I see the same problem with files from the server and local files. He is running Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition but so are others and he appears to be the only one with this problem. I will try it without realtime protection running. Thanks.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by jitBob
    When my user opens a word doc it tells him that the document is already open and would he like to open a copy. After he makes his changes he is unable to save the file to the same filename. Permissions on the original file are set to everyone. I understand that his save problems are due to his having a copy open, but what gives? Why won't the original open? Where am I missing the permissions setting?

Jitbob I have this problem on a standalone XP machine and Office 97. Office 2k doesn't do it. It's driving me barmy, tried permissions, tried cut and pasting the document into a normal.dot that was created by the user - still get the same thing. AV used is PC-Cillin in this case.

I don't believe it's anything to do with av, but something to do with how 97 handles 2k and xp permissions. If you find a fix, let me know... my poor customer has been living with this for a few months now.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

TRY:

When saving the doc from word 2k, be sure to tic the "disactivate option not supported by 97" box. >tool >option >rec

w97 does not support some of the format used by defaut in word/office 2k and up.
    C'est la Vie...

"I invented it, Bill made it famous." ~ David Bradley
    (wrote the code for Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the IBM PC)

"You know you're a geek when... You try to shoo a fly away from the monitor with your cursor." ~ Juuso Heimonen

You misunderstand there is ONLY office97 - you can save it anyway you like, it STILL tells you that the file is in use and would you like to make a copy ARGGGGGGGGGG!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Office 97 seems to exhibit all sorts of weird problems running under W2K and above. Many seem to happen at random. I have installed Off97 on some XP machines and had it work very well (except in different profiles, but more on that in a second), while on one or two it has overwritten some of Outlook Express's spellcheck files.

Most of my problems with running Off97 under W2K and XP have been glitches and errors stemming from running multiple user profiles. Everything mostly works OK in an Administrative profile, but User profiles cause problems.

Sorry, but I have to say if you are working in a business using W2K or XP, it's time to spend the bucks for a newer version of Office. Comes a time when you just gotta bite the bullet. Billy G. needs a new Ferrari.

If your user is a regular user try this:
    In Program Files\MS Office folder change the security setting to allow "Everyone" full control. I have seen this quite a lot of time, and even more issues if you have to run macros and you are not a Power User.
    Also make sure that the security permissions on that file allow that user to make changes, otherwise you will get this kind of behaviour.
    We are running Win2K/Office97(SR2) on some 30 workstations and I haven't seen other issues.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    ...I don't believe it's anything to do with av, but something to do with how 97 handles 2k and xp permissions. If you find a fix, let me know... my poor customer has been living with this for a few months now.
    Before I start, I shall say my usual office warning 'beware the MSI !' ....

Most of my problems with running Off97 under W2K and XP have been glitches and errors stemming from running multiple user profiles. Everything mostly works OK in an Administrative profile, but User profiles cause problems.

Sorry, but I have to say if you are working in a business using W2K or XP, it's time to spend the bucks for a newer version of Office. Comes a time when you just gotta bite the bullet. Billy G. needs a new Ferrari.
    'Tis so ! ... office 97 knows didly squat about permissions, its further compounded by who the owner of any temporary document is, it ought to be the user, but nope its a 'system' owned resource as a proggie created it, generally I've found that all is well where the install of office is 'owned' by the same account using it (so with admin privalages to install it), but if you follow 'stock' advice where 'administartor' installs everything, & then users of whatever class use it, you get this mismatch as the permissions aren't 'propligated' ? (handed down) correctly.

Anyway you aren't alone I've had this on several occasions !

I gotta get my in. I've got 97 SBE running in 2k and XP on at least 10 PC's here, never a glitch...also, several windows profiles from various user logins...all work fine.

I gotta get my in. I've got 97 SBE running in 2k and XP on at least 10 PC's here, never a glitch...also, several windows profiles from various user logins...all work fine.
    Yours are, I pressume, on NTFS partitions ?

I didn't make it clear earlier ... all the issues I've had 'similar' were on fat partitions, which is why I'm going with the 'permissions business' as my theory

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Yours are, I pressume, on NTFS partitions ?

I didn't make it clear earlier ... all the issues I've had 'similar' were on fat partitions, which is why I'm going with the 'permissions business' as my theory
    If they are all FAT32, there are no permissions of which you speak, unless you refer to the lack there of...and yes, my systems are all NTFS...

unless you refer to the lack there of...
    Lack of ... files mighn't have sufficient attributes to be owned, but processes do whatever underlying file system, so if something has a hold of a file, that ain't you, then you 'effectively' get permissions issues ? well maybe at least !

The Solution

This is what worked for me:

1. Uninstalled Word97
    2. Stopped realtime scanning for the Norton Corporate Edition
    3. Restarted
    4. Reinstalled and re-started the Norton

As I thought it appeared to be a permissions issue. The software was loaded on the machine under the Admin account and then when it was moved to the users' location and logged on under their name it developed permissions issues.
    Even though the user had been granted administrative rights, Word97 must have seen the user as being a sub-user of the Admin account and believed it was opening two copies of the document. Just another odd one. Hope this works with your XP user NooNoo.
    Bob

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Thanks jit, but it happens regardless - login as administrator or as the user with admin rights, neither works. There is no Norton to screw up the mix either. It is FAT32. At the risk of repeating myself, the user can create a template and a document and save it and when s/he goes back to open said document it gives the same message.

I am ashamed to say that I have tried to forget about it, but every now and then they ask