Wireless Router connected to a wired cable/dsl router

Thread: Wireless Router connected to a wired cable/dsl router

Wireless Router connected to a wired cable/dsl router

I want to connect a Belkin F5D6231-4 Wireless Broadband Router(802.11b Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router ) to a Netgear RT314 (DSL/Cable Internet Gateway Router w/ 4-Port Switch)

Basically convert the Wireless Router into a Accesspoint(wireless switch) wired to my Netgear Router.

Is this possible?

I suppose I need to uplink the Belkin wireless to the Netgear. And Disable DHCP on the Belkin wireless router and provide the proper IP ranges allotted half to Belkin wireless and half to Netgear wired on the same IP range(192.168.0.2-255)

But is connecting the Wireless Belkin and converting it to a wireless access point for the non-wireless Netgear router possible??? Or can I only convert it to a wireless switch on another wireless router(basically do both need to be wireless)?

All because I dont' want to spend any more money on a Access Point and because I already painstakingly wired all three floors of my home over the years and do not want to rewire to move the current router for a better signal. Would be much easier to setup an access point and keep all my old wiring.

IS this possible???
    Please help! TIA!

I don't see why not, why do you wish to split the ip ranges up?

As long as you only have one box serving dhcp, whether it be computer, wired or wireless it should be fine.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok first to answer your question of can you set it up as an access point. No. The reason being is that it will not forward dhcp requests from the netgear to the wireless (it will forward to the wired). Now you can use it as a standalone unit but it gets kinda weird. There are a couple of things you can do:

Issue static ip's to all the wireless clients and plug in the belkin into port 1 (not the wan port) into an open port on your netgear. This should work but could get flaky.

You can also set it up as if it were a router. To do so plug in the wan port into an open port on your netgear. Then set it to automatically get an ip and you should be able to cruise the internet. You will not however be able to share files and all that good stuff because you will be sitting behind a firewall.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I figured it out.

I should have read the manual on the Belkin wireless first! duh! It says it has an integrated wi-fi Access Point. And has a option in config menus to "Use as Access Point" and directions. Well if its in the manual and its in the config, then it has to work like it says, right? Will find out as soon as my wireless PC Card arrives in the mail. I bought a cheapo free after rebate Gigafast non-cardbus PC Card, the reviews were good. I have an old Pentium 120Mhz laptop, but hopefully that will change soon.

Quote Originally Posted by athlon
    I figured it out.

I should have read the manual on the Belkin wireless first! duh! It says it has an integrated wi-fi Access Point. And has a option in config menus to "Use as Access Point" and directions. Well if its in the manual and its in the config, then it has to work like it says, right? Will find out as soon as my wireless PC Card arrives in the mail. I bought a cheapo free after rebate Gigafast non-cardbus PC Card, the reviews were good. I have an old Pentium 120Mhz laptop, but hopefully that will change soon.
    Nice. I haven't seen this feature on any router/ap's. I'm gonna have to look into that. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert