old 365CD ibm thinkpad issues

Thread: old 365CD ibm thinkpad issues

california, where anyone can be governor!

old 365CD ibm thinkpad issues

hello. i have come upon an old ibm 365cd thinkpad. it actually works pretty well, and I loaded win98se on it.

my question is this: how do i best get it on a high speed network? i tried a wireless linksys wpc54g pcmcia card and it won't power on. it has no usb ports.

there is an xjack 33.6 pcmcia modem in there that is working. do i just need an ethernet pcmcia card? does anyone know why the wireless card won't power up?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyx
    hello. i have come upon an old ibm 365cd thinkpad. it actually works pretty well, and I loaded win98se on it.

my question is this: how do i best get it on a high speed network? i tried a wireless linksys wpc54g pcmcia card and it won't power on. it has no usb ports.

there is an xjack 33.6 pcmcia modem in there that is working. do i just need an ethernet pcmcia card? does anyone know why the wireless card won't power up?

thanks.
    I *believe* thought not positive that the older models don't support the 32 bit pcmcia standard. I would check into that though.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

you may be right. i can't find out what kind of pcmcia slot it has. hard to find specs. cant think of any other way to get it on network.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    I *believe* thought not positive that the older models don't support the 32 bit pcmcia standard. I would check into that though.

mattyx you must have cross posted, check above...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

yes, i had found the specs, but the computer is showing 32 mb of ram, and has a 1 gig drive. it does have the cd-rom and the two type II slots.

infrared is working, believe it or not. that is pretty cool. for an old machine, this thing is not bad. if i could get a wireless network card or usb on it somehow, i'd be off to starbucks to surf.......

you may be right. i can't find out what kind of pcmcia slot it has. hard to find specs. cant think of any other way to get it on network.....

thanks.
    are you using the top or bottom slot? sometimes it matters.
    you might make sure that it is not a cardbus(32 bit card).
    otherwise check ebay for a usb pccard? i have seen 54mb g cards but not by linksys?

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...cid=30&prid=92

Get one of these any you are in business (wired network only)

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=36&prid=430

you should also be able to use this one for wireless.
    Last edited by Damned Angel; February 27th, 2004 at 12:04 PM.