Aquarium advice
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aquarium advice

Aquarium advice

So I come to a computer help forum to ask about aquariums! Why? Because I feel I know you here and can trust the advice, (and because I'm not currently posting and active on a fishy forum). So here goes...

We have a medium sized fish tank in our living room. Coldwater only. Has 5 goldfish and 1 thing that sucks the glass all day living in there. I look after it, and maintain it regularly so it's always clean and healthy. Say an hour a week on average. It's a nice tank, looks good and we like it.

I'd like to move up a level now, but need some advice here on how much time it's going to take from me to maintain a decent tropical or saltwater aquarium. The reason I ask is because I don't want to start a project/hobby that will ultimately end in failure because I simply don't have the time to do it right! Time is more important than the cost in this case.

I know initial time on setting these up is big, but I'm more interested in getting some feedback on time to maintain these types of tanks when they're up and running.

Any advice/suggestions/experience will be helpful.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Not from me, but I know there is a regular here who has a Fish advicd website and he lists it in his Signature.
    It's like on the tip of my tongue.
    Someone here will know who I am talking about, so keep this alive so the one who knows will answer you.

I have a 5 foot Discus tank in my licing room at the moment which I am stripping down to turn into a coldwater tank (non-ornamental species). A decent tropical community tank will take very little looking after, approx an hour or 2 a week with water changes, subtraste filtering etc. A marine tank will take over your life as would species such as Discus or Red Tailed Catfish. If you haven't got at least a couple of hours a day to tend to the maintenance with the tank, I wouldn;t think about going into the more exotic species.

The best bit of advice would be to visit a reputable tropical fish outlet and ask their advice. There are plenty on the Edgware road which will sort you out, or the Japanese Koi Company at Henlow. Pick up a copy ot Practical Fish Keeping from WH Smith's and have a look through there. If you want to keep Discus, Clearwater Aquatics in Leicester are the place to call for good advice.
    The Man, The Myth, The Legend...........................

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - Ruff Ruff, Get Em Boy!!!!

Home of the 2004 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox
    Looking at a community tank, low maintenance (1 or 2 hrs a week- tops). I'm sure the same species are available on your side of the pond, like neons, angelfish, gouramis, tetras, etc. Be sure to go with nonagressive fish in a community tank because if you throw in tiger barbs in with fancy finned fish, the barbs will nip at them and tear them up. Another option is Oscars or Jack Dempseys. But they grow fast and need a tank of at least 55 gal.

Talk with the people at the tropical fish store, they can point you in the right direction as far as what is available.

Good Luck

Hi,
    Ive been a avid fishkeeper for over 30 years,
    One thing Ive learned over and over,When It comes to Tank Size
    "IT MATTERS"
    55 gallons is a good starter tank,If not populated heavily,1 hour a MONTH,not week can be plenty.
    Shape of tank is also a factor,Show or Tall tanks have limited water surface gas exchange area.And should be avoided.
    The real key is water stability,This comes with volume, Once you get over 100 gallons,the need to constantly monitor the water,and do changes drops rapidly.
    Of course,not over feeding and over populating is a HUGE factor.
    My current setup is 150 gal all glass tank
    2 powerheads with airaters (45 gal per hr) on the undergravel tubes.
    2 Second Nature2 external filters with doubled up carbon packs.
    Populated with 3 Cobalt Discus, And a shoal of cardinal tetras,2 plecoes.
    This setup runs about 45 days FEED only,Just Add water as needed, And has been running this way over 2 yrs.
    Trout

I currently have a 55 gallon Hexagon tank. Its empty at the moment but I did have it setup for saltwater before I moved. I usually spent a few hours a week cleaning and maintaining it. It is a lot of work but well worth it.
    The cons to owning a saltwater tank is keeping the bacteria at healthy leavels and trying to kep the tank disease free.

Before I moved I donated all my fish to a local seafood restauraunt (NO NOT TO EAT HAHA) They had a huge salwater setup. LionFIsh, Puffers.. my favorite, all huge! Aparently Ick ran through the system and in a matter of days, they were all dead. I know I lost a few myself to this. It really sucks when your favorite porqupine(sp) puffer dies
    I did have a shark commit scuicide too, he jumped right out of the tank in the middle of the night.

All this being said, when i get settled someplace that feels like home, I will be setting up my tank again. I just love it.
    W

http://fish.dirtylittle.com

Ask that guy, he's got over 15 years in the industry and going and can tell you whatever you want to know about just about any technology or fish. Want reef, salt, brackish, vivaruim, freshwater, etc. he can tell you what you want to know.

Or, you could just ask me cause that's me. What do you want to set the tank up for? Do you want salt fish or a reef tank (there's a difference)?

If you want a larger freshwater tank or just want to convert there's not much more to the setup besides getting a heater and thermometer and keeping the water warm (78-80F).

If you want salt fish (no inverts) then you'll need a heater, thermometer, biological filter and/or a protien skimmer or the like, salt, hydrometer and something to keep the Ph up.

If you want a reef tank you're looking at a nice chunk of dough to spend and you need to read about before you go and buy stuff.

ILTU
    It was on the tip of my tongue, really.
    I am surprised no one else got that.

See I just knew it! There's nothing that can't be found in these forums!! Thanks for the wisdom already everyone. Ilovetheusers, I had a look at your website, very helpful. Great site. Since my first post I've been looking at loads of others too and have come to one conclusion already, my tank isn't the medium sized one I thought it was, it's a small one! Only 16 gallons unfortunately so that may well push me down the tropical route. Here's a picture...

Note the plants are all the same, they're the only ones the fish don't eat!

The filter is mounted in the tank in the top right, but I also have an undergravel system with air pump that isn't used but works fine. I also have the heater and thermometer that came with the tank, along with a neon and a daylight type lamp, (so it said on the box), so I think I have most of the equipment already for a tropical tank. So, with a 16 gallon tank what would be your recomendation?

If I did go tropical then can you recommend some decent reading material as stated on your pages? I think saltwater / marine aquariums are something for the future, one step at a time is a lesson learned today already
    Last edited by gazzak; December 8th, 2003 at 03:55 PM.

Looks like you're all set for some new fish. I would recommend smaller fish like tetras, neons, barbs etc. Maybe a small pleco or two for housekeeping. A pair of clown loaches is also a nice addition.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    http://fish.dirtylittle.com

Ask that guy, he's got over 15 years in the industry and going and can tell you whatever you want to know about just about any technology or fish. Want reef, salt, brackish, vivaruim, freshwater, etc. he can tell you what you want to know.

Or, you could just ask me cause that's me. What do you want to set the tank up for? Do you want salt fish or a reef tank (there's a difference)?

If you want a larger freshwater tank or just want to convert there's not much more to the setup besides getting a heater and thermometer and keeping the water warm (78-80F).

If you want salt fish (no inverts) then you'll need a heater, thermometer, biological filter and/or a protien skimmer or the like, salt, hydrometer and something to keep the Ph up.

If you want a reef tank you're looking at a nice chunk of dough to spend and you need to read about before you go and buy stuff.
    Sweet!! Now I know who to bug for my saltwater questions. Questions like, why is it green algie always seems to take over my system. I know it is supposed to be the good algie, but I makes my tank look kinda murky after a while...
    W

Banned
    WHy do small town East Texas grease pits make so much better fried catfish than any of the major seafood places?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus
    WHy do small town East Texas grease pits make so much better fried catfish than any of the major seafood places?
    Actually,, little grease pits EVERYWHERE make better catfish than the major seafood places, And even better than most high end 5 star places.
    I know of several in illinois and kentucy that keep fresh caught cats in live tanks, And 2 places you actually select the fish to be butchered,,One of which,, they actually let ya watch <appetizer>
    trout

Conclusions so far.....

Going for tropical freshwater community tank
    16" of fish (fully grown) is the maximum for a 16 gallon tank
    I think I already have most of the equipment necessary but...

what filtration system would you reccomend for this type of system for the lowest maintenance with best results?

Judging by the picture, the tank looks very clean. If you're running the undergravel filter plus the other one you have should be plenty. Sixteen gallons isn't a huge tank.

Show us a pic when it's done