wmz files

Thread: wmz files

wmz files

Here is the problem.

I have ME, 256 RAM, IE6, Mediaplayer 9, cable connection.

I create a file FILENAME.DOC using Word 2k. I embed in the file equations created with Equation editor. Now I save the file as FILENAME.HTML from Word. A new file FILENAME.HTM and a folder FILENAME.FILES are created. In the folder I have one file IMAGE00#.WMZ for every file IMAGE00#.GIF where the gif file is the image of the equation in Word document. I do not know when this started to happen. I just discovered it this morning, Sunday 12/7.

When I run the FILENAME.HTL, the internet explorer opens normally and without the slightest hint about the wmz files. If I click on the wmz file, the mediaplayer opens and shows IMAGE00#.WMZ in the right pan. If I click the button Play on the mediaplayer, the MP attempts to go to the internet and I get a dialog box asking me if I want to save the file or open it. I immediately halt the operation. It turned out that the wmz extension is for the skin files of mediaplayer.

I played a piece of music from my CD player and created a new document with equations and saved it as html file. Now the folder contains the image00#.wmz file but if I click on this file, mediaplayer opens and the file name of the music file show in the right pan and a message saying that mediaplayer cannot open this skin file, the file is corrupted but it does not attemp to go to the internet.

I checked for virus (I very rarely get one) and found the same virus file in two copies in System directory. The file name was PE_BUGBAR.B (there may be an underscore or not I couldn't tell). I deleted the two files, restored the system to the latest date I have and recreated the Word file with equations. The same thing, the files wmz are still there, but now I have no virus.

I created a doc file and embedded in it jpg files, and created objects using Draw of Word, no wmz were created in the html file. The wmz files are creted only with the equations embeded in Word document. They contain no readable ascii.

I uninstalled Office, cleaned all directories related to office, then reinstalled from scratch. The problem persisted. I deleted media player manually and reinstalled a new version (9), the propblem persisted. New updates for windows did not cure problem either. New Office updates did not cure the problem either.

Any thought what mihgt be the cause of creating the wmz files and embedding them in the html folder? I run out of ideas as to what to do.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Votan; December 8th, 2003 at 12:46 AM.

arent wmz internet links for windows media player files?

WMZ is a vector file saved by Word. It defines a file format, like JPG or GIF. It's just like if you double-click one of these, it will be opened by the application it is associated with, and if you want to use another application, you handle the file from within that program. Media Player skin files seem to be saved in the same format, and I guess it was installed after Word and has got the file association. You could try changing the association, but that can cause other problems, so if you can just use the application to open the files, not double-click on them, I don't think there should be a problem there.

Perhaps more detail of your purpose would help us, it sounds like you want to use Word to create a web page to display the equations? If so, I gather to use a vector file (so they will have the same quality at any size), they may need to be embedded in the HTML in one of the prescribed MIME formats, a bit complex. You should be better off to use the corresponding GIFs, but I might be off the track here for what you're doing.

(A vector file format is used when an image is formed of simple (or complex, but it's beneficial if simple) geometric shapes which need to be able to be scaled to any size without loss of resolution.)
    Last edited by Platypus; December 8th, 2003 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    WMZ is a vector file saved by Word. It defines a file format, like JPG or GIF. It's just like if you double-click one of these, it will be opened by the application it is associated with, and if you want to use another application, you handle the file from within that program. Media Player skin files seem to be saved in the same format, and I guess it was installed after Word and has got the file association. You could try changing the association, but that can cause other problems, so if you can just use the application to open the files, not double-click on them, I don't think there should be a problem there.

Perhaps more detail of your purpose would help us, it sounds like you want to use Word to create a web page to display the equations? If so, I gather to use a vector file (so they will have the same quality at any size), they may need to be embedded in the HTML in one of the prescribed MIME formats, a bit complex. You should be better off to use the corresponding GIFs, but I might be off the track here for what you're doing.

(A vector file format is used when an image is formed of simple (or complex, but it's beneficial if simple) geometric shapes which need to be able to be scaled to any size without loss of resolution.)
    Your comment is precise. What happened was that the first image in the html file I created was image001.gif and it was associated with image001.wmz created by WORD within the html file. This wmz file name happened to be the title of an image of a web document I opened earlier with mediaplayer. When I created my html file the first image linked itself to the last file displayed with the media player. I deleted that file wmz saved as the most recent file in mediaplayer. Then, clicking on the wmz file embedded within the html document returned a message saying the file is corrupted cannot be opened by media player, yet the html file opens correctly without a glitch.

With respect to your comment about changing the file association, you predicted correctly. It creates new problems the first of which was the gif image does no longer show up when you run the html file, apparently because it retinue wmz file is no longer associated with the image file.

Thanks for your help.