Knoppix + Intellimouse explorer

Thread: Knoppix + Intellimouse explorer

Knoppix + Intellimouse explorer

Hey guys/girls, I am fairly new to linux, but I am really trying to give it a chance. I have attempted to try several different versions( Lycoris, Red Hat and now Knoppix) out of the three, i prefer knoppix. I tried running it from the CD and liked it better than redhat from a user standpoint, so i decided to install it on my hard drive. I noticed that the install wasnt as automatic as the redhat install, but with the help of google and another PC, i was able to get it running and modified boot.ini so i could dual boot with XP.(I have them on separate hard drives) I am not ready to give up windows, due to the fact that know very little about linux. Anyway, on to my problem. Knoppix detects my MS WIreless Intellimouse explorer and works just fine, however i cant figure out how to set it so that buttons 4 and 5 are set to go foreward and back in the browser. for this reason, i often get frustrated and reboot to windows. I have become very reliant on my back/forward buttons..browsing without them just sucks. I was just wondering if there is a way this can be done? The system recognizes the buttons, but they perform different tasks.

also, can anyone point me to a good reference source for linux newbies? I really dont know very many of the commands, and i noticed that even with the nice gui, you still need to know how to do everything by the command line, because installing software is a ridiculous task.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

There's a sticky on the Linux page that has LOADs of really good linux resources.

I used the intellimouse explorer in RH9 and it doesn't work properly... I found a thread on justlinux.org that may help but it was a bit complicated for me (being well new at this penguiny stuff), so I never got it working properly.

Intellimouse thread

My search on this site for Intellimouse

I'm going to be loading my PC again this weekend so I'll TRY once more to get the intellimouse working properly
    Bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by Titchski
    There's a sticky on the Linux page that has LOADs of really good linux resources.

I used the intellimouse explorer in RH9 and it doesn't work properly... I found a thread on justlinux.org that may help but it was a bit complicated for me (being well new at this penguiny stuff), so I never got it working properly.

Intellimouse thread

My search on this site for Intellimouse

I'm going to be loading my PC again this weekend so I'll TRY once more to get the intellimouse working properly

man..i was hoping there was an easy way..that is way over my head at this point.
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

I'll report back after I've tried it this weekend, It looks bloody impossible. Surely it can't be that hard, its just text editing right?
    Bollocks

i actualy got brave adn attempted this, but i could not save the changes to that configuration file. and due ot the way knoppix is set up, i have no idea what the root password is, or how to chance permissions. i did manage to change the permissions on the drive, but it didnt chance the permissions on the directories.

Quote Originally Posted by delmer_1
    i actualy got brave adn attempted this, but i could not save the changes to that configuration file. and due ot the way knoppix is set up, i have no idea what the root password is, or how to chance permissions. i did manage to change the permissions on the drive, but it didnt chance the permissions on the directories.
    I must admit I haven't got round to it yet (too many other issues - Christmas etc etc).

From what I can work out, its probably easier to log in as root and then make the changes, at least on Slackware - Thats what I intend to do now I have a bit of free time. I'm not sure if you can log in as root from the Knoppix cd though.

I'll see what I can come up with over the next couple of days.

Cheers
    Bollocks

re:

Well, the first problem would be that knoppix isn't built as an installable distribution, but was meant as a 'boot from cd' only for the most part. It's a debian based setup, from what I remember.

a quick google turned up a german mailing list with the same problem. http://koala.ilog.fr/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/ shows up with a bunch of tips, tricks, and patches for X, KDE, xemacs, and more. There also appears to be a debian unstable package named intelimouse-el, though I havn't had time to look for it's documentation and find out what and how it works.

Good luck and hope this helps.

also, can anyone point me to a good reference source for linux newbies?
    I hate to come here and constantly praise my distro, but I think it is really good at teaching the innards of linux to linux newbies; so here I go.

Give gentoo a try, they have a variety of install CD's from x86 to x86-64. If your computer is reasonably fast (500Mhz or better) I would give it a try

I would start from the stage 3 install your first try. You will learn alot of how to get around the OS without the aid of the gui and alot of the basic commands. I truly find it alot less of a headache than redhat and mandrake. I learned more about how linux works by installing gentoo than I did by using redhat for a year; personally I think binary distros are evil.

Also they have a great user support forum where other users are constantly helping newer users learn about linux. In fact it is one of the distros most appealing qualities.
    Last edited by Rô©kHøµñÐ; January 8th, 2004 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by delmer_1
    There's some way to do this properly, but I forget what. Write permissions can be enabled in Knoppix. Go to their site and search their forums, I know it's been addressed before.

As for the root password... by default, there is none!
    su <enter>
    <enter>
    Bam, super user.
    Unless you mean you set it, and promptly forgot it... >_>