slow opening at first

Thread: slow opening at first

slow opening at first

I have a computer that takes several seconds to open My computer. At first it appeared to have something to do with the background screen. It was a rather large picture. I took that off as the background ( and apparently windows deleted it when I did that ) and things worked a lot better. Now the first time you click on my computer it takes a very long time to come up. The computer is an IBM aptive K6-2 ( 300 ? ) with 128 mb ram running win98. I thought I remember someone talking about clearing the icon cache fixing several oddities like this but I don't remember where that is. Does anyone think that would help or do I tell them it's working fine.... or any other ideas....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Is it any faster if you have/do not have a CD in the drive? Perhaps it waiting on the drives spinning up?

Quote Originally Posted by Penman
    Is it any faster if you have/do not have a CD in the drive? Perhaps it waiting on the drives spinning up?

No and it's only the first time it starts up. Oh and I have disabled all items in startup via msconfig.

I was searching the forums and may found something.... I'll let you know in a minute...

is the start menu packed full of stuff? I had an issue a while back where it would take the start menu 10-15 seconds to open at first, cleaning out the shortcuts and organizing them sorted the problem.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    is the start menu packed full of stuff? I had an issue a while back where it would take the start menu 10-15 seconds to open at first, cleaning out the shortcuts and organizing them sorted the problem.
    Start Menu? He is talking about his My Computer (FYI)
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I found an old post here :

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...ght=icon+cache

And I followed NooNoo's recomendation and that seemed to clean up the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    I found an old post here :

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...ght=icon+cache

And I followed NooNoo's recomendation and that seemed to clean up the problem.
    That reg tweak is nice.
    Sometimes, though, what penman said above is the case, especially if it a CDR or RW.

does this tweak also effect outlook? Mine has always seemed to hiccup while launching.

Quote Originally Posted by asm481
    does this tweak also effect outlook? Mine has always seemed to hiccup while launching.
    Do you have a hotmail account (or yahoo or any other web based email account) or an imap account in outlook? Outlook will "freeze" while it tries to connect to the server. Nothing but a faster connection will correct this. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    Do you have a hotmail account (or yahoo or any other web based email account) or an imap account in outlook? Outlook will "freeze" while it tries to connect to the server. Nothing but a faster connection will correct this. Cheers.
    No Gollo I do not have another account set up in outlook. I do also use outlook express for a different account but they are seldom on at the same time. My connection is roadrunner (cable) but the "hiccup" in on the initial opening of the program. click the icon and it may be three seconds before anything appears on the screen then it comes up in seperate parts--blank backround then taskbar then inbox and last the preveiw screen. Then after a few seconds it will connect to my server and do it's send receive routine.